Summary: Sermon looking at being a model and mentor, demonstrating the life of Christ to others. Based off a daily devotion from "The Purpose Driven Life".
Being a Disciple, Part 3 (Being a Model and Mentor)
Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. Philippians 3:17 (NIV)
- For us to mature, we need models and mentors.
- Many people make the mistake of thinking all they need to grow spiritually is God’s Word and prayer. But the truth is: we need people to help us grow (into disciples).
- A character that resembles Jesus is built through relationships – through togetherness
- We can never learn everything on our own, so God uses others to grow us
- As disciples, we need more than explanations, we need examples
- Paul knew this, and this is the meaning behind Philippians 3:17
- Are you showing the principles you have learned? Are you practicing them?
- Living for Christ as a disciple is an everyday thing; it is a life change
App: Because Jesus died for you; how are you living today?
Point 1 - How is it lived?
- Paul traveled to cities to start churches; he was a living bible that others could see
- Sometimes, you may be the only bible people ever read!! (Amplify, believe it/live it)
- Phil 4:9 tells us what Paul would do when he left those cities (encourage to live)
- Who are your models for Christ? Who are you learning and watching from?
- Deeper: Who are you an example for? Who are you teaching to grow in Christ?
- Do you remember “show and tell” time from elementary school? Do you enjoy it?
- As believers, we’re often better at “telling” than “showing”, aren’t we?
- This world is dying for people to show the way, to live the truth and to walk the truth
- Experience makes us grow, and this experience should be shared to others around us!
- Think of our church: Is it a family of people motivated to teach one another?
- Or, is it a social club that we gather to be convenient because it is a habit?
- To be a disciple, you must be willing to grow personally, and then teach others
- Titus 2 (Paul’s letter) discusses the roles and responsibilities of being a disciple
- Sometimes this may scare you – but it is necessary to take that step and move!
- Integrity is doing what is right even when no one is looking; do you have that?
- With integrity comes the desire to teach others and move them forward as well
- To be an effective disciple, you MUST intentionally move people forward for God!
- Are you willing to do that? Are you willing to move?
- Only you and God know, and God cannot be fooled –today, BE a disciple!
Message based on the devotional, Purpose Driven Life