Summary: Final message in series about being a disciple; examine the cost of taking up your cross and following Christ.
Being a Disciple, Part 4
- Read Luke 9:23-26
- We have been discussing being a disciple for the past few weeks, and today we bring the entire series to a close and wrap up the whole concept at once.
- As believers, we have a price to pay that calls us first to salvation.
- Once we are saved, we are called to become part of the body of Christ
- Then we are called to be disciples and finally workers of the Spirit
- Verse 23 calculates the cost in one line; Jesus knew what He was talking about
Point 1 - Discipleship is Self-Denial
- Where are you in the denial of self stage? Are you still at the beginning?
-- Someone who is just recently saved ought to be at the beginning
- The measuring stick is your own work for Jesus – the fruit in which you produce
-- What is fruit? Are you a soul winner? Are you bringing people to church?
-- Are you leading people in the way that they should be living by your own life?
- Jesus said that he is the vine and we are the branches; which means that you no longer belong to yourself, but are attached to something greater! Act like it!
- The cost is that you are NO LONGER in control; but many today still are
-- We still live like we are in charge; we still behave like we are in charge
- This is not being a disciple, but merely living a selfish lifestyle; promoting you!
Point 2 - Discipleship is Submission
- Let’s look at the sacrifice of the cross; note the submission that Christ displayed
- Would you be so willing today to submit to whatever the Father asked of you?
- Submission is giving up your desires totally, and adopting someone else’s will
- Jesus asked the Father to provide another way; but he did not stay on that
- He accepted what His Father directed; and today He asks the same of you!
- Read verse 25 (Addresses our own selfish desires to succeed in this world)
- Expound: Have everything you could ever want; but have nothing to show for it:
- For example: Pretend to be a disciple; but die and spend eternity in hell
- Each one of us has a price to pay today; a sin debt that you are going to pay for
- How do you justify the work of the cross with your own life? Does it show?
- Discipleship is about showing the way that you live, so that others may grow
- Are you doing this? Do others hear about Jesus from you or worldly things?
- Because of the sacrifice of the cross, a sacrifice we remember this morning, we must be willing to tell the way, show the way, and go the way (Singers)
- Are you willing to do that? Are you willing to be a disciple for Christ?
- It is not a game; but a matter of YOUR life and death!! So, where are you?
- Closing prayer / Invitation prior to the Lord’s Supper
- Lord’s Supper: 1 Corinthians 11:27-32