Summary: Abraham was called a friend of God. What made him so was his faith. "Without faith, it is impossible to please Him" but having faith brings us great favor with God.
“BEING FRIENDS WITH GOD”
“Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the friend of God.” James 2:23
I Why Abraham was called the friend of God:
1. His great faith: “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Galatians 3:6. He did more than just believe in God…he believed God.
2. His unquestioning obedience: In leaving his home land: “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.” Hebrews 11:8. In offering up Isaac: “By faith, Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son.” Heb. 11:17
3. His faith in the power of God: “Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead.” Hebrews 11:19.
4. His constant worship of the Lord: “…and there he built an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him.” Genesis 12:7
“And he moved from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and there he built an altar unto the Lord, and called upon the name of the Lord.” Genesis 12:8.
II The reward Abraham received from being a friend of God.
1. The materials blessings Abraham received:
“Now Abraham was old, well advanced in age; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things.” Genesis 24:1.
2. The spiritual blessings Abraham received:
Abraham was permitted to encounter God face to face: “For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him. In whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated ‘king of righteousness’, and then also king of Salem, meaning ‘king of peace’, without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days or end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.” Hebrews 7:1-3.
3. The glorious honor Abraham was given being listed first in the human genealogy of the Lord Jesus: “The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham: Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers.” Matthew 1:1-2.
III We too can be called ‘friends of God’ if we are obedient to the Lord:
“You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.” John 15:14.