Summary: Are there times when you doubt the things of God? Belief in God is not complete understanding of God but is rooted in our hearts. This sermon explores this further, with the hopes of demonstrating that many who struggle with belief really do in their hear
TITLE : BELIEVING IN THE HEART
TEXT: Romans 10:10
AUTHOR: Fr. Christopher M. Nerreau
“For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.”
• I’ll bet I know a deep dark secret of yours…I’ll bet that there are times where you doubt the things of God.
• Did the Snake really talk? (I wasn’t there)
• Did Jonah really live in the belly of a whale? (Seems impossible)
• Did Adam live several hundreds of years? (That does not happen)
• And I’ll bet you often feel guilty about the fact that you doubt. You try to push these thoughts back into the recesses of your mind
• Or maybe you simply try to force yourself to believe… (I am not a prophet, I struggle to.)
PROPOSITION: The reason you may struggle is because you may not fully understand what it means to believe.
ORIENTATION: Today I want to help you to understand what it means to “believe” in Christ as we address:
I. THE SOURCE OF BELIEF? (GODS REVELATION)
II. THE SPACE OF BELIEF? (THE HEART)
III. THE SURENESS OF BELIEF? (SANCTIFICATION)
TRANSITION: So lets start to understand by looking at our first point…
I. THE SOURCE OF BELIEF (MT 15:16-17)
• Christ Asked Peter (Mt. 15:16-17 “Who do you say that I am)
o Peter responds correctly – “You are the Christ, the son of the living God.”
o How did Peter come to understand this?
NOT FROM LOGIC OR REASON
• “For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you” v.16
• To believe in Christ is not the work of man -“flesh and blood”.
• We do not in and of ourselves have the ability to simply manufacture belief.
• THE REVELATION WAS OF GOD
• “but my Father who is in heaven” v.17
• Belief is revealed to us by God. God gives us the revelation and that is where belief begins.
• In this sense belief in Christ begins with God – The apostle
Paul said - Romans 12:3 - “Each according to the measure of faith which God has assigned him.”
o I did not have the ability to believe my sister in-law was pregnant until someone revealed to me that it was so. Then I simply agreed with this revelation.
o In a similar way, we could not know Christ apart from the revelation of God, directly in our hearts. We are simply called to agree with Him.
• Do you struggle with believing?
o Remember we are simply called to agree with God’s revelation. To be open to what God writes upon our hearts.
• Also, remember that you cannot “MAKE” yourself believe anything, nor are you called to. Our goal is to be receptive to what God is telling us (sermons, scripture) God will make it real.
II. THE SPACE OF BELIEF – (Romans 10:10)
• COMMON CONFUSION
o I think the greatest challenge to overcoming unbelief is understanding where it resides.
o Most of the time people who are struggling will tell me they – “don’t understand this or that”
o Unbelief has very little to do with the brain, it has everything to do with the heart.
o God has never said – “There’s a man after my own brain…” its always after His Own – “ heart.”
• THE SPACE OF BELIEF – The heart