Summary: The belt of truth
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth…..
In Ephesians, one quickly notes that the believer has many resources to benefit him in his service to God. In the final section of the letter, Paul introduces the Christian to the powerful enemy but also to the power that is found within the armor of God. Before advancing to the discussion of the Belt of Truth, notice the following things that are afforded to the believer according to the Ephesian letter. They are listed as follow:
- All spiritual blessings -- 1:3
- A place in the family of God -- 1:5
- Forgiveness of sin -- 1:7
- The believer has received knowledge, understanding, & prudence 1:8
- The mystery of God will be revealed to thebeliever -- 1:9
- The promise of an inheritance, which is salvation and heaven -- 1:11
- Have been given the Word of Truth, the gospel of salvation -- 1:13
DEVIL (accuser)-- the main title for the fallen angelic being who is the supreme enemy of God and man. Satan is his name, and devil is what he is-the accuser or deceiver. The title "devil" appears 35 times in the NKJV. The term comes from a Greek word that means "a false witness" or "malicious accuser." LIAR
Several descriptive phrases applied to the devil in the New Testament point out the nature of his wicked personality and the extent of his evil deeds.
- The Wicked or Evil One (Matt. 6:13; 13:19,38; 1 John 2:13). This phrase depicts the devil's fundamental nature. He is in direct opposition to everything God is or all he wishes to do.
- Enemy (Matt. 13:25,28,39). The devil is man's worst enemy. He is an enemy of Christ, the church, and the gospel;
- Murderer (John 8:44). "He was a murderer from the beginning" are strong words from the lips of Jesus. The devil killed Abel and the prophets, and he wanted to kill Jesus before His time (8:40).
- Deceiver (Rev. 20:10). Starting with Eve, the devil has attempted to deceive every living soul. Evil men operating under the power of the evil one will continue to deceive (2 Tim. 3:13).
- Beelzebub, Prince of Demons (god of dung & flies) (Matt. 9:34; 12:24).
- Ruler of This World (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11). Three times Jesus called the devil the "ruler of this world." The devil offered the world to Jesus if He would worship him (Luke 4:5-7), but the Lord refused with these words, "Get behind me Satan"
The devil tempts, but God provides a way of escape (1 Cor. 10:13); the devil tries to take advantage of people (2 Cor. 2:11), but he will flee if fought (James 4:7). The devil should not be feared, for Jesus is more powerful than this deceiving prince of the demons (1 John 4:4).
History. Two Old Testament passages-- (Isaiah 14:12-15) and (Ezekiel 28:11-19)-- furnish a picture of Satan's original condition and the reasons for his loss of that position. These passages were addressed originally to the kings of Babylon and Tyre. But in their long-range implications, many scholars believe, they refer to Satan himself.
WE ARE GIVEN AND HAVE
• Sealed by the Holy Ghost -- 1:13
• The Spirit of wisdom, revelation, and knowledge -- 1:17
• Exceeding power to do above & beyond what we may think or imagine by His power -- 1:19; 3:20
• In the Christian is the same spirit that raised Christ from the dead 1:20-23
• The indwelling of the Spirit has defeated the works of sin -- 2:1-3
• Have received the mercy and love of God -- 2:4
• The Christian is the masterpiece (workmanship) of God -- 2:10
• There is power in the blood of Christ -- 2:13
• Christians are fellow citizens w/saints & members of household God 2:19
• The Christian is the agent of God to carry out His mission -- 2:22
• Strengthened by the might of His Spirit -- 3:16
• Given love of Christ which passes knowledge & understanding 3:19
This list is only a partial listing as it only comes from the first three chapters of the letter to the Ephesians.
B. The Enemy
withstood God in His own creation Isaiah 14:9-23; Eze 28:11-19