Summary: There are many similarities between the darkness into which Jesus was born in Bethlehem and what we now face in the darkness of the Newtown massacre of the innocents.
Bethlehem, Newtown, Incarnation?
So what does this mean to me today?
Luke 2: 1-7
(current news tie in:
Did you know that NEWTOWN, Connecticut was listed as #5 in 100 SAFEST CITIES!
14,612 MURDERED last year in U.S.
281 Every Week!/ 40 Every Day!
IT SHOULDN’T SURPRISE US THAT WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT DARKNESS AS CHRISTMAS APPROACHES.
The Signs Were Always There. From The Beginning, The Birth Of Christ Was Fraught With Difficulty:
• Mary became pregnant under strange circumstances.
• Joseph and Mary made a dangerous journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem in the latter stages of her pregnancy.
• When they got to Bethlehem, there was no room for them in the inn.
• Jesus was born in a MANGER, NOT the peaceful scene of Kid’s Xmas Program!
• BUT in a STABLE! OR CAVE! At NIGHT!
• WHEN MARY & JOSEPH WERE ALL ALONE IN THE WORLD!
• When the Magi came to Jerusalem & asked about the baby born KING!
• HEROD Was So Disturbed He Ordered The Slaughter Of The Baby Boys Of Bethlehem 2 & Younger.
• Matthew 2:16 How Many Baby Boys Under Age Of 2 In Bethlehem? No One Knows, But many Suggests About 20? 26?
• There is a big difference between Bethlehem then and Bethlehem now.
• Today a bustling town of 28,000 people.
• Back then a Tiny Village (Few Hundred)
• (the “LITTLE TOWN” of the Christmas carol)
• SIX MILES SOUTH OF JERUSALEM.
• Travelers often stopped in Bethlehem before traveling to “BIG CITY” to the north.
• HEROD, THE GREAT, VERY OLD, SICK, NEARLY DEAD! IN POWER OVER 40 YRS.
• CLEVER & CRUEL MAN! BRUTAL KILLER!
*His Brother-In-Law/ *Mother-In-Law
• No Wonder Caesar Augustus Said,
• “IT IS SAFER TO BE HEROD’S SOW THAN HIS SON.”
• Murdered wife when he was just 44 because felt she threatened his power!
• BUT HE NEVER GOT OVER HER!
• It seemed to drive Him Crazier!
• About 70 when Jesus was Born!
• Herod probably died within 2 yrs.
• That’s when Jesus & family came back from EGYPT!
• SWEET LITTLE JESUS BOY:
• The World Treat You Mean, Lord.
Treat Me Mean Too. But That’s How Things IS Down Here. We Didn’t Know It Was You.
• “But That’s How Things Is Down Here.” There Is A World Of Sad, Solemn Truth In Those Seven Words.