Summary: Paul is writing here about a "last day" condition.
1 TIM. 4:1 “BEWARE OF SEDUCING SPIRITS”
A) Paul here was writing about a “last day” condition … “The Spirit speaketh expressly …”
* The Greek word for “expressly” is “rhetos” and means: “In specific terms, in plain words, or
distinctly, so that there can be no question about what is being said.” * In other words …
* The Spirit (Holy Ghost) spoke specifically in direct terms of the last days danger.
B) Bible scholars agree that we are now living in the last days, near the time of Christ’s coming!
* This is the period in which seducing spirits will reign … The phrase “latter times” means: “A
little later on, not far out in the future.”
* That is, false teachers were to arise within the church almost immediately and continue on
through our day and on to the end of time.
* The point is well made … The church and the genuine believer have to be constantly on guard
against false teaching. * Four things tonight and I’m through …….
(1) WHAT ARE SEDUCING SPIRITS?
A) “Seduce” means: “To lead away, specially from the path of right by flattering promises …”
* “To lead astray into an evil, or foolish, or disastrous course.”
* This world is contaminated with such evil influences. (Look today at the occult followers …)
B) First: Seducing spirits are the powers of the very devil! * There is a personal devil!
* In his kingdom there are many demons known as wicked or seducing spirits.
* These spirits are everywhere … Their forces and influences are increased in the latter days.
* They work in cooperation with the devil … They are so closely associated with him that
sometimes they are referred to as demons or devils.
C) Second: They are antichrist spirits! * Turn to 1 John 4:1-3 …….
* We are advised to “try the spirits whether they are of God.” * “Try” means: “To test, examine.”
* The deceptive, seducing spirits are so cunning that they often deceive good people.
D) The day John was writing, these dangerous influences had already invaded the church!
* The children of God had overcome them because God within was greater than the wicked
powers of the world.
* Our best protection against seducing powers is God within us! (1 John 4:4)
E) Third: The seducing spirits are unseen wicked influences! * The spirits are invisible.
* They are, however, very powerful … They are unseen influences that work in the flesh and in
the minds of Christians … And they are controlled by the devil himself.
* They are, in reality, the spirits through which the devil works to discourage and turn aside all of
God’s people from doing right!
(2) THE SEDUCING SPIRITS ARE INCREASING! * Paul refers to them as a last day influence!
A) They did their work in the early church, but Paul foresaw the day when their powers would
be increased and their work more deadly and destructive!
* Look at all the killings today … The text specially refers to the falling away in the last days as a
result of the increased powers of evil.
B) First: When you read your Bible you can see that they worked in the early church!
* Judas was persuaded by the seductive influence of the devil to betray the Lord.