Summary: How you can claim holiness in the midst of temptations?
BEWARE OF TEMPTATIONS
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is holy, you must be holy in spite of temptations.
I. PURSUE THE “CROWN OF LIFE”! (12)
A. Expect temptations.
1. Right response leads to spiritual endurance.
2. Wrong response leads to sin and death. (15)
B. Experience victory.
1. There is PRESENT joy in the pursuit of the “Crown of Life”!
2. There is a FUTURE joy in the pursuit of the “Crown of Life”!
II. RESIST THE “OLD FLESH”! (13-16)
A. Temptations don’t come from God(13).
1. God is not responsible for our temptations.
2. God is without the capacity for temptation.
3. God does allow testing (trials in which temptation can occur).
B. Temptations do come from the flesh(14-16).
1. Temptation comes in the form of lust.
2. Temptation unchecked will bring death.
3. Don’t be deceived brethren.
III. SUBMIT TO “GOD”. (17-18)
A. God is the source of all good gifts(17).
1. God is the author of all good.
2. God is unchangeable.
B. God is the source of our being holy(18).
1. Regeneration is the voluntarily act of God. Ezek 36:24-27
2. Regeneration is offered through the Scriptures.
3. Regeneration is about God’s sovereign purpose.