Summary: The bible is important and superior to all other books and the way that we can show that we really believe that is to be obedient and faithful to each command that it gives man.
1. Open your bibles please to Hebrews 4:12&13.
2. Give the title of the lesson!
Recently, I read a story with a good lesson for us about the importance of the bible.
There was a Grandfather that lived in the mountains of eastern Kentucky. The Grandfather had a big family.
One day one of the Grandfather’s grandsons approached him told him that he had a problem in understanding the bible.
The Grandson said, "PAPA, I read the Bible and I don’t understand it, and what I understand I forget as soon as I close the Bible covers. What’s the use
of reading the Bible!"
The Grandfather wanted to teach the grandson a lesson about the importance of repeatedly going ahead and reading the bible, even if things were not completely understood.
The Grandfather told the grandson to get the basket, from the pile of coal,that they used to carry the heating coal into the house. The Grandfather told the grandson to get the basket and run down to the river and bring back a basket of water to the house.
To please his grandfather, the grandson grabbed the basket, ran to the river and got a basket of water.
The grandson ran back to the house with the water. By the time the lad reached the house the basket was empty.
The grandfather told the young grandson to hurry and try to get back a little faster and see if he could make it back with some water this time. GO REAL QUICK!!!
The GRANDSON ran quickly from the river, the basket was full when he left the river, but by the time he arrived at the house the basket of water was dry.
After his third trip, the boy told his granddad, it is no use, I can’t keep the water in the basket until I get here. Grandpa, it’s useless.
The grandfather looked at the disgusted young boy, and said, "So you think it is useless?"
"Yes! Papa it is useless to try!" the boy replied.
The Grandfather said to the grandson, "BUT LOOK AT THE BASKET, CAN’T YOU SEE SOMETHING DIFFERENT ABOUT THE BASKET?"
THE SMALL BOY WAS AMAZED, AFTER THREE TRIPS TO THE RIVER, THE DIRTY COAL BASKET WAS CLEAN.
The Grandfather said, " See, that is what the Word of God does to you. As you read, you say you don’t retain and understand it, but your basket [your soul] is cleaned. THE WORD OF GOD DOES THE WORK OF GOD and cleans up on the inside!
This illustrates the importance of the word of God.
4. In this lesson we will discuss what it takes to show that we really do believe the bible.
I. FIRST, HEBREWS 4:12&13 REVEALS TO US WHAT MAN HAS TO DO TO SHOW THAT WE REALLY BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS IMPORTANT AND THAT IT IS SUPERIOR TO ALL OTHER READING MATERIAL.
1. Let’s read and make comments regarding Hebrews 4:12&13, “12 For the word of God is living and powerful,
(1) The Living God provided his Living Word, not a dead letter. The Word of God, as it lies in our bibles, is just as much alive and living as it was when God breathed it out and gave it to the Holy Spirit and then the Holy Spirit breathed it into the minds of those who wrote the bible.
1) The bible is the mind of God in human language.
2) The Bible is never out of date. Reading the bible or hearing it read is equivalent to us standing in the presence of God and God saying something to us verbally.
(2) “Powerful” comes from the Greek word, from which we get the words energy and energize. The word energize probably brings the picture to your mind of the little energizer bunny that is used to advertize the energizer battery.
1) “Powerful” refers to God’s word being given to man for the intended purpose of motivating man to obey and do what God teaches us to do.
2) Turn to Romans 1:16. Romans 1:16 teaches that God’s word (the Bible) has the power to save a lost person when they have obedient faith. Let’s read Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.”
James 2:26b teaches that the “belief” must be an active obedient faith: “so faith without works is dead also”.
3) Turn to 2 Timothy 3:16&17. This passage teaches that God’s word (the Bible) contains information that will give direction for our life, once we have been saved from our past sins. Let’s read 2 Timothy 3:16&17, “16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine [or teaching], for reproof [which refers to giving rebuke for any wrong teaching or actions],