Summary: All the people involved in our story have speaking names and meaningful stories behind them: "David" means "the beloved one", "Gabriel" means "my master is God", "Joseph" means "The Lord shall increase", "Mirjam" means "out of the water", "Israel" means "
Birthing a Promise
Two stories: The Kingdom of David and the Virgin Birth of Jesus
The Kingdom of David
- "David" means "the beloved one"
- said to be the author to many of the psalms
- story of a shepherd becoming the greatest king
- Birthing a promise: that little kid can achieve great things
Other people involved in our story
- all of them have speaking names and meaningful stories behind them
- Who are you? What’s your name?
The Angel of Annunciation
- "Gabriel" means "my master is God"
- He is God’s messenger, announcing the birth of his son
- He was the one who explained to the prophet Daniel what his vision of the empires meant: That in the end God’s love is gonna prevail over all empires in the world
- Birthing a promise: This world is gonna be a better place
- Trust in God makes this life’s burdens more bearable
- "Joseph" means "The Lord shall increase"
- Named after Jacob’s 11th son
- Rahel’s 1st son
- Jacob loved Rahel more than Leah
- Birthing a Promise: The one who became a victim of jealousy can save his people
- Broken relationships can be healed, even in dysfunctional families
- Greek form of "Mirjam" means "out of the water"
- she saved her baby brother Moses’ life
- a prophetess leading the people through the Red Sea
- Birthing a Promise: Even in a patriarchal society, a woman can be a respected leader
- Merkel - Chancellor of Germany, Lisa Simpson - President of the USA
- "Israel" means "he struggled with God"
- “I will not let you go, unless you bless me.”
- Another fight at Birth: Jacob means "holds the heel"
- He stole his brother Esau’s birthright
- Birthing a Promise: Fighting for what you believe does pay off.
- Whatever the temptations may be that attack your faith: Jacob reminds us to live strong, even without a yellow bracelet
- "Jesus" means "YHWH saves"
- YHWH has always saved his beloved people of Israel
- In Christ Jesus YHWH becomes a human being
- So his salvation is for all people now
- Jesus on the throne of David, reigning over his people forever
- The angel said to Mary, “Do not be afraid, for you have found favor with God."
- Under the administration of God in Christ Jesus, that is true for all of us, so proclaim to your pew neighbor now: “Do not be afraid, NAME, for you have found favor with God."
- Birthing a promise: All these people that where involved in today’s story and all of us, have a reason to hope against hope.
Hope is to expect the unrealistic
- Mary is hesitant to begin with: “How can this be, since I am a virgin?”
- The Angel replied: "Your child will be called Son of God."
- So to get things straight: This whole virgin birth thing is not about Mary and her medical status but about Jesus and his divine status.
- The Son of God is born. There has to be something special about his birth as well.
- Hercules is son of Zeus and Alcmena, not just a strong guy
- Anakin Skywalker is Son of Shmi and the Force, not just a smart kid
- It’s about about the importance of the child
- Not an historic account, but a testimony of an angel: “nothing will be impossible with God.”
- Someone very special is born: "the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David."
- The Messiah of Israel is coming, that is why tonight’s Hanukkah candles express the right hope: God is gonna restore his people in fullness.
- That is why we celebrate Advent to remind ourselves, that Christ’s first coming changed the world forever and we are waiting for his second coming.
- Mary is about to give birth to a promise: “Do not be afraid, for you have found favor with God." Amen.