Summary: Blessed are those who mourn over troubling situations, over their sins, and over the sins of others.
Evening Service for 8/24/2003
I set beside a tiny crib and watched a baby die, and the parents slowly turned to me and said, “Preacher, tell us why?” And I walked away from the nursery where still born babies lie, and a mother stretches out her empty arms and says, “Preacher, oh preacher, tell me why?” I saw a young girl’s burning tears and heard her lonely cry, as she held an unused wedding gown and said, “Preacher, oh preacher, tell me why?” I heard the cancer patient say, “Tis gain for me to die.” Then I looked at her husband crying and whispered to myself, “I wonder why?” I’ve seen a father take his life and the widow stands near by, and the little children say, “Mom, we’ll ask the preacher and he’ll tell us why?” I’ve seen a mother stand beside a little grave and cry, and though she never let me know I knew she wondered why. I’ve heard an orphan family faintly say as they gazed up in the sky, “Though mom and dad have gone away, I think the preacher will tell us why?” So I tip-toed to my Father’s throne, so timid and so shy, to say, “Dear God, some of your own, their wanting to know why?” Then I heard him say so tenderly, “Their eyes I will gladly dry, but they must look through faith today, tomorrow, tomorrow they will know why. If now they find the reasons why their hopes have gone awry, in heaven they’ll miss the joy of hearing me tell them why.” And so I find it pleases him, whenever I can testify, I’ll trust my God to do my best and wait and then he’ll tell me why.
Blessed are those who mourn
Thesis: Blessed are those who mourn over troubling situations, over their sins, and over the sins of others.
1. Troubling situations
A. 2 Cor 1:3-5
1. Jesus has suffered the most for us.
2. Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord. I don’t know how unbeliever do it. May we be good witness to them in our suffering.
1. To think of heaven brings joy to our hearts
2. It may be bad here, but it makes heaven so much sweeter.
E. (Rev 21:4 NIV) He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
2. Our Sins
1. I know my sin but I will not surrender to Jesus Christ.
2. Make them miserable until they come to you.
3. Woes of the wicked.
1. Think of what David did.
2. My sin is always before me.
3. Let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
4. Create in me a pure heart
5. Restore to me the joy of my salvation
6. Broken and contrite heart- not proud or arrogant.
7. Those who try to justify themselves.
D. Randy Harris said that when he went for 40 days on a spiritual retreat that the one thing that he took away was his overwhelming sense of his own sins.
E. Mourn the loss of their innocence, their righteousness, their self-respect. We should weep in repentance over our sins.