Summary: Ephesians is rich and encouraging.
1. We are in the beginning stages of an exciting study…
• Ephesians is such a rich and encouraging book highlighting the great blessings of God in our lives.
• It’s commonly been called the Alps of the New Testament.
• A highpoint in all of the Bible!
• What breathtaking and inspiring views we grasp of our relationship with Jesus Christ.
NOW Ephesians speaks about the CHURCH of Jesus Christ.
• A Body of Believers Jesus is drawing out of the world.
• From the beginning, it’s always been the pattern of God to draw a people out from the world for Himself.
John 15.16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
• God’s choosing goes back to Adam, to Eve, to Noah, to Abraham.
• Through Abraham God called the nation of Israel.
• God chose them to be a light to the world. – But they failed.
• Then, through the Messiah, God began to draw another people.
• Jew and Gentile out for Himself… the church.
2. The CHURCH is not a building, or a physical location.
a. In the Scriptures the word church ALWAYS refers to a group of people… a group of called out ones.
b. We are the church… We gather here together for refreshment and a spiritual recharge.
c. But during the week the church is spread throughout the offices, cubicles, and workplaces of all Denver.
3. So, as we study through Ephesians, know that the focus is on you, the church, the Body of Jesus Christ.
d. It divides neatly into 2 sections.
e. 1-3 DOCTRINAL Speak of the heavenly calling of the church
f. 4-6 PRACTICAL Speak of our conduct on earth.
• Now turning our attention to CH 1 you’ll find that Paul speaks of our heavenly blessings in Jesus Christ!
BY THE WAY… that’s where you want to be this morning.
• IN Jesus Christ. In His will, In His Grace, In His Presence.
I. (1:3-5) Chosen.
1. (3) Blessed with EVERY spiritual blessing!
a. The glorious theme… God’s great blessings in our lives.
b. So often we hear the emphasis placed on what we should be doing for God, how we MUST do this, HAVE TO do that…
c. But the REALITY is that God has DONE SO MUCH FOR us…
NOTE: He has blessed me… blessed you… with EVERY SPIRITUAL blessing. This is amazing.
• There is nothing left undone in your spiritual life that God has not already provided you with the spiritual solution…
NOTE: Blessing literally means, oh how happy… oh how pleased… oh how satisfied… oh how content in Him.
Again… where is Paul writing these wonderful words?
• Is he pastoring a church of thousands?
• Is he living a healthy and prosperous life?
• Is he counting his millions on a yacht in the Med. Sea?
• NO… he’s in prison! He’s in solitary confinement…
• In the deepest, darkest, loneliest depths of imprisonment.
NOTE: But what isn’t he complaining?
• Whoa is me! I’m forsaken and forgotten. Oh God get me out of this, I hate it, I don’t want it… deliver me!
• Instead he’s excited… He’s just blessed!
• Maybe not materially… maybe not physically…
• BUT DEFINITELY SPIRITUALLY!