Summary: Ephesians is rich and encouraging.
1. We are in the beginning stages of an exciting study…
• Ephesians is such a rich and encouraging book highlighting the great blessings of God in our lives.
• It’s commonly been called the Alps of the New Testament.
• A highpoint in all of the Bible!
• What breathtaking and inspiring views we grasp of our relationship with Jesus Christ.
NOW Ephesians speaks about the CHURCH of Jesus Christ.
• A Body of Believers Jesus is drawing out of the world.
• From the beginning, it’s always been the pattern of God to draw a people out from the world for Himself.
John 15.16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
• God’s choosing goes back to Adam, to Eve, to Noah, to Abraham.
• Through Abraham God called the nation of Israel.
• God chose them to be a light to the world. – But they failed.
• Then, through the Messiah, God began to draw another people.
• Jew and Gentile out for Himself… the church.
2. The CHURCH is not a building, or a physical location.
a. In the Scriptures the word church ALWAYS refers to a group of people… a group of called out ones.
b. We are the church… We gather here together for refreshment and a spiritual recharge.
c. But during the week the church is spread throughout the offices, cubicles, and workplaces of all Denver.
3. So, as we study through Ephesians, know that the focus is on you, the church, the Body of Jesus Christ.
d. It divides neatly into 2 sections.
e. 1-3 DOCTRINAL Speak of the heavenly calling of the church
f. 4-6 PRACTICAL Speak of our conduct on earth.
• Now turning our attention to CH 1 you’ll find that Paul speaks of our heavenly blessings in Jesus Christ!
BY THE WAY… that’s where you want to be this morning.
• IN Jesus Christ. In His will, In His Grace, In His Presence.
I. (1:3-5) Chosen.
1. (3) Blessed with EVERY spiritual blessing!
a. The glorious theme… God’s great blessings in our lives.
b. So often we hear the emphasis placed on what we should be doing for God, how we MUST do this, HAVE TO do that…
c. But the REALITY is that God has DONE SO MUCH FOR us…
NOTE: He has blessed me… blessed you… with EVERY SPIRITUAL blessing. This is amazing.
• There is nothing left undone in your spiritual life that God has not already provided you with the spiritual solution…
NOTE: Blessing literally means, oh how happy… oh how pleased… oh how satisfied… oh how content in Him.
Again… where is Paul writing these wonderful words?
• Is he pastoring a church of thousands?
• Is he living a healthy and prosperous life?
• Is he counting his millions on a yacht in the Med. Sea?
• NO… he’s in prison! He’s in solitary confinement…
• In the deepest, darkest, loneliest depths of imprisonment.
NOTE: But what isn’t he complaining?
• Whoa is me! I’m forsaken and forgotten. Oh God get me out of this, I hate it, I don’t want it… deliver me!
• Instead he’s excited… He’s just blessed!
• Maybe not materially… maybe not physically…
• BUT DEFINITELY SPIRITUALLY!
APP: Some of you might feel imprisoned this morning, in solitary confinement… alone and in pain…
• Maybe it’s a marriage that isn’t perfect.
• OR a job that isn’t inspiring or isn’t what you want.
• Are you buried under the weight of poor financial decisions.
• Dealing with this issue or that issue.
KNOW THIS… you’re blessed to know Jesus Christ.
• You are blessed with EVERY spiritual blessing.
• We live in a corrupt and fallen world… physically.
• We live in a perfect and lovely world… spiritually.
APP: The solution is not changing your job… not in changing your husband or wife… not in winning the lottery but rather…
• It is living in Jesus Christ. Enjoying your blessings in Him.
• Blessed: happy… content… secure… hopeful…
NOTICE Where do we find life? At the end of v3… In Jesus.
John 14.6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Where do we find peace? In Jesus, the prince of Peace!
NOTE: As we turn off our TV’s, put down our newspapers, set aside the things of this world…
• And pick up God’s love letter to us… reading it, thinking through it, applying its truths…
• You know what we find? Blessings in Jesus!
Psalm 1.1-3 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.