Summary: What does it mean to be blessed in Christ
One morning R. C. Chapman, a devout Christian, was asked how he was feeling. “I’m burdened this morning!” was his reply. But his happy countenance contradicted his words. So the questioner exclaimed in surprise, “Are you really burdened, Mr. Chapman?” “Yes, but it’s a wonderful burden—it’s an overabundance of blessings for which I cannot find enough time or words to express my gratitude!” Seeing the puzzled look on the face of his friend, Chapman added with a smile, “I am referring to Psalm 68:19, which fully describes my condition. In that verse the Father in heaven reminds us that He ‘daily loads us with benefits.’”
I. Having Eyes Toward Heaven
- Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.
- Heb 11:9 By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise.
- Heb 11:10 For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.
A. To receive an inheritance
- Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.
- 1Pe 1:4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,
- Imperishable inheritance
- Eph 1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,
- Eph 1:14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
- Guarantee of our inheritance
B. Looking for a City made by God
- Abram was not interested in earthy things to the point it would hold him back from God’s call.
- Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.
- A Holy city where God tabernacles with men
II. Being blessed in Christ
- Mat 1:1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Mat 1:2 Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,
- Mat 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ fourteen generations.
- Gal_3:14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.
A. Abraham was blessed materially
- Gen 13:2 Now Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold.
- Sometimes we have more materially than we think we do