Summary: We Have Recently Examined - The Blessings From The Father: 1. He Has Chosen Us (v 3-4); 2. He Has Adopted Us (v 5,11); 3. He Has Accepted Us (v 6).
We Have Recently Examined - The Blessings From The Father: 1. He Has Chosen Us (v 3-4); 2. He Has Adopted Us (v 5,11); 3. He Has Accepted Us (v 6).
In Chapter One of Ephesians We Will Notice These Blessings From The Son.
1. He Has Redeemed Us (v 7a).
2. He Has Forgiven Us (v 7b).
3. He Has Revealed The Mystery of God’s Will (v 8-10).
4. He Has Made Us Heirs With Himself (v 11-12).
Today, Let’s Examine The First of These - REDEMPTION.
1. CHRIST REDEMPTION MAGNIFIES . . .
• The Compassion of God - Micah 7:18-19 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression…? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy. He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
• The Grace of God – Ephesians 2:8
• The Loving-kindness & Mercy of God - Psalm 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
• The Goodness of God - Psalm 86:5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive.
• The Forbearance of God - Romans 3:25 God hath set forth Christ to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.
• The Faithfulness & Justice of God - 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
2. WHAT CHRIST HAS REDEEMED US FROM (v 7a). In whom we have redemption. To Redeem [apolotrosis] = Liberation procured by the payment of a ransom.
Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. 1Tim 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
What Has Christ Redeemed Us From ? He Has Redeemed Us From. . . .
• The Curse of The Law (a works salvation) - Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law.
• The Grave - Psalm 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave.
• Death - Hosea 13:14 I will redeem them from death.
• Destruction - Psalm 103:2,4 Bless the LORD, O my soul,... Who redeemeth thy life from destruction.
• Iniquity - Titus 2:14 Christ gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity.
• This Present Evil World - Galatians 1:44 Christ gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world.
• Vain Conversation [a wasted life] - 1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers.
Our Redemption Was Costly - Through his blood. See Isaiah 53:1-6
1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: