Summary: We live in a world that does not value purity, for the Christian, we need all help we can get to maintain a semblance of purity. Psalm 119:9-16 offers us some help if we are committed enough to follow the principles.
• SLIDE #1
• We live in a time when it is difficult to live a life of purity. Our society glorifies immorality. Our society applauds and rewards bad behavior.
• When you look at the movies that are produced today, the music produced today, we can see why society is struggling to stay afloat.
• As bad as things seem, there have been times around the world where immorality ran rampant, much worse than what we are experiencing today. Nonetheless, we live in increasingly difficult times when it comes to striving to live a life that is pleasing for God.
• The message today is not meant to be one that bashes the evils of society, but rather it is designed with the intention of helping us to be able to live in such a manner that is pleasing to God.
• SLIDE #2
• James 1:27 (HCSB) Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
• THIS my friends is not easy and we need all the help we can get to make it happen.
• When you think about this subject, it is not just about pleasing God, but it is also about living a life that will be a better life.
• When one decides to live a life that is pleasing to God, their life will be better! Your life will be less stressful as well as experiencing fewer self-inflicted wounds.
• Today we are going to go to Psalm 119 we are offered a blueprint for purity as we see three things we need to possess so that one can stand strong in the face of opposition.
• Let’s begin by looking at Psalm 119:9-11
• SLIDE #3
• Psalm 119:9–11 (HCSB) — 9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your word. 10 I have sought You with all my heart; don’t let me wander from Your commands. 11 I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.
• SLIDE #4
God’s blueprint for purity includes…
I. A disciplined heart.
• Anything worth achieving in life takes discipline. Discipline flows from desire.
• Athletes who want to be successful have to be disciplined, students who want to excel, have to be disciplined.
• Those who want to stay in shape, have to be disciplined.
• If you want to live your life in a way that is pleasing to God and is a blessing to yourself as well as all those you have influence over, it takes discipline, which flows from the heart.
• The Psalmist askes the question, how can a young man keep his way pure?
• Now, the principles shared in this Psalm are not only for young people, but the earlier in life they are instilled in a person, the better.
• SECOND SERVICE! Young parents, are you instilling the Word in your children, are you modeling it in your life?
• GRANDPARENTS, are you helping your children raise their children by being a good example of how to live out the Word in your life?
• In verse 9, the word WAY speaks of CONDUCT, BEHAVIOR, MANNER OF LIVING.