Summary: The people needed to break up their fallow ground
A. The Gospel and the Great Commission
(1) The gospel makes salvation available to all (Rom 10:9-13)
(2) The Great Commission sends believers with the gospel to all (Matt. 28:18-20)
(3) The gospel preached by the early church turned the world upside down (Acts 17:6)
B. We need to Return to Those Thrilling Days of Yesteryear
(1) We need a revival that restores first love and a passion for the lost
(2) We need a revival just as they needed it in Hosea's day
(a) The people needed to break up their fallow ground
(b) What did Hosea mean when he called for this to happen among his people?
A. WHAT IS FALLOW GROUND?
1. Fallow ground was once productive but from now lies waste
(a) Once there were abundant harvests from this soil
(b) Now there are but weeds and wilderness
2. Hosea could identify with the need to break up the fallow ground
(a) Israel 's glorious past : the Red Sea miracle, manna, and water from the a rock
(b)The nation 's sad condition that prompted Hosea's prophetic call
3.We can identify with the need for this call in our time
(a) Churches have grown cold and compromising
(b) Saints sit and soak while sinners die and go to hell
B. WHAT DOES FALLOW GROUND PRODUCE?
1. Fallow ground produces thorns and thistles (Matt. 13:7,22)
(a) The cares if this world choke out the Word of God
(b) The deceitfulness of riches causes wrong priorities
(c) idolatry replaces total dedication to the Lord
2. Fallow ground produces the root of bitterness (Heb. 12:12-15)
(a) We sing of a sweet, sweet spirit in this place
(b) But bitterness often lurks beneath the surface of singing saints
(c) Bitter believers are often offended and are quick to cause divisions in the church.
3. Fallow ground is often the result of apathy and laziness
(a) Slothful Christians are slow to do what God has commanded (Judg. 18:9)
(b) Slothful Christians hold back from service for the Lord (Pro. 12:27)
(c) Slothful Christians find excuses for not getting involved (Pro. 22:13)
(d) Slothful Christians find that their lives are unproductive (Prov. 24:30)
C. HOW CAN FALLOW GROUND BE BROKEN UP?
1. Fallow ground can be broken up by the plow of God's Word
(a) The Bible is a mirror that enables us to see ourselves as we are (James 1:
(b) Te Bible also enables us to see ourselves as God sees us
2. Fallow ground can be broken up by repentance (Rev. 2:4-5)
3. Fallow ground can be broken up by humility and prayer. (2 Chron. 7:14)
A. What Will It Take to Break Up Your Fallow Ground?
B. Are You Willing to Pray the Price of Revival?