Summary: WE need to break free from the parasites that will ruin a relationship!
• SLIDE #1
• Today we are going to address an issue that haunts many relationships. If we are not careful we can allow things to latch onto our relationships that can drain the life right out of them.
• Have you heard of parasites?
• The dictionary defines parasites as follows: a plant or animal that lives on or in another, usually larger, host organism in a way that harms or is of no advantage to the host
• Parasites are nasty little things that live off something else; they are harmful and in cases can drain the life right out of a host.
• Here are a few for your viewing pleasure.
• SLIDE #2
• SLIDE #3
• 25% of the world’s population has these.
• SLIDE #4
• These have been known to grow 20 feet inside a person.
• Fortunately, because of where we live and our level of hygiene, we don’t have to worry about these guys very often. But parasites are very real and diminish the quality of life for millions of people on our planet.
• I want to suggest to you that there are relational parasites in this world as well. This type of parasite diminishes the quality of relationships in our world. These relational parasites are just as nasty looking as the pictures we viewed.
• In the film we’ve been talking about for the last few weeks, Fireproof, Caleb Holt struggles with parasites in his own life. Watch this clip and you’ll see what I mean.
• PLAY CLIP.
• CLICK TO NEW PP SLIDES #1
• As you can see, Caleb had allowed a parasite to latch onto his marriage that was killing it!
• Parasites latch themselves to people who fall to the temptations that surround them. We are going to examine some issues concerning temptation so that we can be prepared to protect ourselves from the parasites that surround us that are more than willing to drain the life out of you and your relationships.
• Let’s begin by looking at 1 Corinthians 10:13
• SLIDE #2
• 1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV) No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
• From this passage let us examine 3 facts about temptation that will help us to fight off parasites.
• SLIDE #3
I. Three facts about temptation.
• It is important for us to understand some things about temptation. When we understand some of the facts, we can better defend ourselves.
• The greatest problem facing human beings today is temptation. The greatest problem facing human beings today isn’t famine or wars or natural disasters.
• Those are problems and they require lots of attention. But our biggest problem isn’t a circumstance, it’s a state of the heart issue. It’s temptation. If we weren’t tempted, it would be very hard to get into trouble.
• If we didn’t get into trouble, we wouldn’t start wars or starve our neighbors, or take things that aren’t ours, or hurt the people we love, or hurt ourselves the way we so often do. Don’t you agree? The greatest challenge facing humanity is temptation.
• The first fact is:
• SLIDE #4
1. Every temptation you face has been faced by others.
• Notice that verse 13 tells us that no temptation has overtaken us but such as common to man.
• We are not alone in our struggles; you are not the only one who has dealt with the temptation you are faced with. One of the tools in Satan’s toolbox is isolation.
• If he can make you feel alone, you WILL fall and fail.
• SLIDE #5
2. You have the power to resist from God.
• It may seem at the time that this is not true, but that’s just a lie from the Evil One, trying to lower your resolve and your resistance.
• God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability,
• If you feel powerless, you will fall and fail!
• SLIDE #6
3. God provides a way of escape.
• but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
• Your job is to look for that way out and take it the minute you find it.
• If you feel trapped, you will fall and fail!
• Let’s turn to 1 John 2:16
• SLIDE #7
• 1 John 2:16 (ESV) For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.