Summary: Proposition: Freedom from sin and death is available to all people who set their minds on the things of the Holy Spirit.
Rev. Sean Lester
Nov. 9, 2003
Text: Romans 8:1-8
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,  because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.  For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man,  in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.
 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.  The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;  the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.  Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
A. God wants you to live life liberated from the law of sin and death. Some laws of sin and death are:
1. Grow up and learn as much as you can so that you may make a positive contribution to the world.
2. Obey those who have your interests and the interests of the world at heart.
3. Work hard and earn as much as possible, also, spend as much as possible.
4. Those who do well earn the right to enjoy life.
5. Die with dignity.
B. The law of sin and death does not give life to anybody because:
1. In the end, you die. This makes everything you achieve or possess meaningless.
2. The world is not just. You can only learn what people are willing to teach. Some people have more opportunities to lean and mature because of where they live, or because of their nationality.
3. Some people have more stuff not because they contribute to society, but because they tear it down. Why do pornographers have the right to a better lifestyle than police officers? Why does a prostitute make more than a teacher? Is any athlete worth a million dollars?
4. Your success in life depends on the willingness of others to promote you, recognize you, and care about you. That doesn’t always happen.
C. God wanted to liberate people from the law of sin and death so much that he sent his son Jesus Christ to condemn it.
1. The law of sin and death only applies to people who are in sin. This meant all peoples since all people are born into sin. But Jesus Christ was not born into sin, thus the law of sin had no authority over Him.
2. So, when the world condemned Jesus Christ, it broke the law of God. In so doing, Jesus condemned sin and death. Jesus Christ was thus raised from the dead and has the power to raise people from the dead.
D. By condemning the law of sin and death, Jesus provided liberty for anyone who chose to live by the Spirit of Jesus Christ. That is, those who…
1. Confess and repent of their sins and,
2. Live according to what Jesus taught.
Proposition: Freedom from sin and death is available to all people who set their minds on the things of the Holy Spirit.