Summary: The hold of witchcraft can be broken upon a man;s life by the power of the Holy Spirit if the man is willing to surrender unto God.
BREAKING THE HOLD OF WITCHCRAFT.
Study Text: Galatians 5: 19 – 21.
Gal 5:19-21: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Witchcraft was described as one of the works of the flesh because it works against the Spirit of God.
- All forms of witchcraft involvement will prevent a man from being part of the kingdom of God.
- We shall look into the study under two major sub-headings:
1. The Description of Witchcraft
2. The Destruction of Witchcraft
1. The Description of Witchcraft
- There are two categories of witchcraft, namely: the Fleshly witchcraft and the occultic witchcraft.
- The Fleshly witchcraft include the following activities:
1. Stubbornly pursuing someone to cause damage or destruction. Exodus 14: 22-27.
And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.
23 And the Egyptians pursued, and went in after them to the midst of the sea, even all Pharaoh's horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.
24 And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians,
25 And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.
26 And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen.
27 And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.
- Whenever you are pursuing hard on someone who has done no harm to you, with the mind of doing evil to the person is an act of witchcraft practice. We see Pharaoh chasing the Israelites and wanting to kill them at all cost. Another example was the way Harman was after the life of Mordecai and then the rest of the Jews for no good reason. I pray that every stubborn pursuer of your life and destiny shall be arrested and put to shame in Jesus name.
2. Attempting to read the mind of another person 1 Samuel 17: 28-29
And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? and with whom hast thou left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle.
29 And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?
- Eliab was trying to predict what was going on in the mind of David, but he was totally wrong. Most of the times, we try to read the mind of others and behave unto them based on our own conclusions, this is an act of witchcraft. This does not include when the Holy Spirit revealed the mind of someone that is pretending to us. For instance Ananias and Sapphira his wife appeared before Peter with wrong and misleading information, but the Holy Spirit revealed that they were deceivers.
3. Attempting to prove your worth through the oppression of others. Esther 3: 5-6.
And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
6 And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.
- Haman was trying to prove the worth of his power by oppressing Mordecai and all his people and even planning to kill them, this is an act of withcraft. You can also demonstrate your superiority by lifting up others or by helping them to do what they could not do on their own, but it must be done with a heart of love and to the glory of God.
4. Attempting to influence somebody in a negative way to do something against his will. Genesis 39: 7-12.
And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.