Summary: It's easy to get stuck in negativism in this life, but as Christians, our destiny is good beyond our wildest dreams. Proverbs 4:18 captures this with rare insight, telling us to look ahead to our incredible future.
BRIGHTER & BRIGHTER UNTIL THE FINAL DAY
1. Driving to work, a man had to swerve to avoid a box that fell out of a truck in front of him. Seconds later, a policeman pulled him over for reckless driving.
2. Fortunately, another officer had seen the carton in the road. The policemen stopped traffic and recovered the box. It was found to contain large upholstery tacks.
3. "I'm sorry sir," the first trooper told the driver, "but I am still going to have to write you a ticket."
4. Amazed, the driver asked for what. The trooper replied, "Tacks evasion.”
“But the path of the just (righteous) is like the light of dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until [it reaches...] the perfect day.” Prov. 4:18, AMP
1. Recently I went through a time of comparing myself with other Christians. Of course, most of them look like they’re doing so good, and this caused a bit of negativism about my own life. I felt like this wasn’t right nor pleasing to the Lord.
2. God brought to my mind Prov. 4:18 and challenged me to make this the view of my life & destiny. So I want you to do the same as we look at “Brighter & Brighter Until the Final Day.”
I. WE HAVE SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO!
A. THERE IS COMING A “PERFECT DAY”
1. Right now we are in the “Night” time of prophetic history: sin, evil choices, and ignorance are ruling. But we have found Jesus, the Light of the World, who has come into our hearts to lighten our darkness.
2. But there is coming the “Day of the Lord,” in which Christ will return to Earth, take over the world, and set up His earthly government. He will banish all evil-doers and give the righteous resurrected bodies, and we will never die or get sick again. The righteous will be incredibly rewarded and be given mansions in God’s eternal city, New Jerusalem. There we will experience joy for all eternity.
3. In the N. T., the Day of the Lord is referred to variously as "that day" (2 Tim. 4:8), the "last day" (John 6:30), the "Day of wrath" (Rev. 6:17), the "Day of judgment" ( 2 Pet. 2:9), the "Day of the Lord" (1 Thess. 5:2), the "Day of the Son of Man" (Luke 17:24), the "Day of Christ" (Phip. 2:16), or the "great day of God" (Rev. 16:14).
4. After the Second Coming of Christ, Jesus will set up His Kingdom on this present Earth and establish worldwide rule for 1,000 years. King Jesus will overthrow all the evil governments, consign evildoers to hell, bind Satan in the bottomless pit (Rev. 19:19-20:3; Isaiah 24:21-22), cause wars to cease (Ps. 46:4; Micah 4:1-3; Isaiah 2:1-4) and establish his reign over the whole world (Isaiah 11:1-5). Since there will be no tempter and no sin, the world will be released from the curse of sin (Rom. 8:20-22).
a. Trees will "sing for joy" (Ps. 44; 96:12-13).
b. The nature of animals will be changed (Isa. 11:6-9; 65:35).
c. Deserts will blossom (Isa. 35:1, 6).
d. Thorns and thistles will be healed (Isa. 55:13).
e. People's handicaps will be healed (Isa. 35:5-6).
f. Death will be almost unheard-of (Isa. 35:5-6).
B. OUR NEW LIFE IN CHRIST IS LIKE THE FIRST LIGHT OF DAWN
1. Have you ever gotten up before dawn and watched a Sunrise? First the night begins to lighten on the horizon; then yellow and pink streaks come across the sky. Then the light grows brighter and brighter until the giant flaming ball of the Sun comes up over the horizon. The Sun’s heat and brightness continue to get stronger until it arrives directly overhead with its brightest and fullest light and heat.
2. This is what Prov. 4:18 is describing, except the Sun represents the Sun of Righteousness – Jesus! He has begun arising in our hearts (2 Pet. 1:19). His predawn light has entered our hearts. Truth, morality, understanding, etc., have dawned in us. A transformation has begun. The Light of God’s knowledge is getting brighter and brighter in us. Our consciences, devotion, and character are growing in Christ. It’s a progressive thing, and as long as we cooperate with Him, it’s as certain to carry us to maturity as that the sun will move to its zenith at the equatorial meridian.
3. All Creation is waiting in breathless wonder for the full manifestation of the Sons of God (Rom. 8:19,22); we are being transformed, from glory to glory, by the Spirit of the Lord! But our transformation is only at its beginning now and, as shortsighted as we are, we can’t see the end product of what we will be. If it’s this good and it’s still night around us, imagine how powerful the light of God will be in us when It reaches its full!