Summary: The Beatitudes become the building blocks for successful Kingdom living for all Believers.
NOTE: Study materials used for this message were taken from the following: "The Message of the Sermon on the Mount" Stott; "The Complete Biblical Study Library" Matthew. Since Michael King’s message "Assurance of Salvation" which I used for reference on part 1 only named the first 3 attitudes, the remainder I tried to create in order to build from one beatitude to the next. I also have power points for all the messages in this series, if you would like to use them, feel free to email me email@example.com.
BEATITUDES - PART III
TEXT: Matthew 5:8
Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”
1. Difficult to understand that not everyone is as eager to “see God“ as I am.
a. They want to “see God“ when they get to heaven
b. They have done what they need to do by asking the Lord into their heart and now they are set for eternity
c. God remains on the top shelf of their bookcase
On my bookshelves in my office are 3 types of books:
Shelves where I go to every week
Shelves where I go to once in a while
Shelves where books go to R.I.P.
2. We serve a God who is not a “top shelf“ God but one who wants and desires to play an active role in our lives.
In our decisions
In our discussions
In our joys
In our sorrows
In our bad times AND in our good ones as well
3. But how many of us hear these words “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God“ and you will be honest with me and admit that in your mind you say something like:
“(yawn) Yea…yea….I know I‘m going to see Him when
I get to heaven. I‘ve heard all that before but I just
can‘t get too excited about it, I’ve got REAL LIFE things to think about that are higher on my priority list that that right now.”
4. When Jesus came onto the scene, He rocked their world! No one in the past had been able to “see God”. For that matter, very few people had even ever had a “personal” relationship with Him:
Moses in the wilderness talked to God as a friend
High Priests had entered the PRESENCE once a year
Abraham had an encounter with an Angel of the Lord
Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego danced in the furnace
5. But now Jesus was in effect telling His disciples and those who were listening that those who are pure in heart are blessed because they shall see God!
6. What hope! What promise! This was/is not only a future hope because Jesus, the Son of God was right in their midst when He spoke it!
7. We must look at the true meaning of what Jesus was telling His Disciples that day that transcends to us as Believers just as powerfully 2,000 years later.
Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever”
8. Biblically speaking, the “heart” is the site of humanity’s innermost being, the center of personality.
9. The rabbis were developing a complex system of laws for maintain ceremonial purification, which later comprised one of the divisions of the Mishnah. But all of those laws could bypass the most important purity of all, purity of the heart.
10. How does this fit into our “Be” Attitudes that we have been looking at in recent weeks?