Summary: Spiritual Wounds Are Like Physical Wounds
A. “WOUND YOUR WEAK CONSCIENCE” (1 COR. 8:12)
1. Criticized for your work for Christ.
2. Criticized for you mistakes/failures.
3. Lie about your good intention.
a. Unintentional lie, they do not know the facts/truth
b. Intentional i.e., they want to hurt you, i.e., get even
4. Gossip about you. “Have you heard . . .”
5. Sargent. “But I’ve been shot,” Answer: We’ve all been shot.
What is a Wound?
Wound, (a) an injury to the body (by violence, accident, or surgery) by cut, tear, laceration or puncture; with damage to underlying tissue, usually resulting in pain, trauma, bodily disorder or acute distress, (b) a mental and emotional blow or hurt.
B. SPIRITUAL WOUNDS ARE LIKE PHYSICAL WOUNDS
1. They hurt, and your wound demands immediate attention.
2. They shut down normal duties/functions.
3. They offended our conscience/integrity. “What have I done to you that deserves treatment like this?” (Gen. 20:8). Abimelech to Abraham.
4. They sin against you. “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times” (Matt. 18:21, NLT).
5. Will get worse if not treated. Sin and disease have poison that will spread and destroy others parts of the body. This is a deadly wound.
What is a Deadly Wound?
DEATH WOUND also called deadly wound, mortal wound or fatal wound; that which leads to death, whether intentional or accidental. Death need not be instantaneous but can be gradual leading to cessation of life, or cessation of vital organs.
6. They drag down our spiritual life. “But a wounded spirit, who can bear it” (Prov. 18:14).
7. The enemy wants to hurt you. “The devil . . . roaring lion . . . devour” (I Peter 5:8).
8. Don’t let a hurting wound become a deadly wound. What is a deadly wound, non-healing wound?
9. Don’t walk around wounded.
C. WHO WOUNDS
1. God punishes, “Look, I am He, there is no god like Me. I kill and I make alive, I wound and I heal” (Deut. 32:39).
2. Friends, “Faithful are the wounds of a friend” (Pro. 27:6).
3. Gossiper. “Words of a talebearer are as wounds” (Prov. 18:8).
4. Satan. “The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy” (John 10:10).
5. Self-inflected. Our sin or neglect causes problems. “Satan will sift you” (Luke 22:31).
D. HEALING OF WOUNDS
1. Stand on the rock. Satan can huff and puff. “A wise man builds his house upon a rock” (Matt. 7:24). “When . . . strengthen, build up the brethren” (Luke 22:32).
2. It’s about Him, not about you. “He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquity” (Is. 53:3).
3. Don’t walk around wounded, nor gloat over wounds. Remember the Wounded Warrior’s project (ad on TV).
4. Clean with water. “Washing of water by the Word” (Eph. 5:27).
5. Leave uncovered to breathe, i.e., air. “The wind of the Holy Spirit.”
6. Honey has been an ancient hygienic. “Eat honey for it is good . . . you will have a bright future, and your hope will not be cut short” (Prov. 24:13). There is healing in positive mental health.
7. Blessing your enemies causes the blood to flow. “Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you” (Luke 6:28, NLT).
8. Pain makes you realize there is life within. Eutychus, “Trouble not yourself, for his life is within him” (Acts 20:10).
9. Learn three principles from our enemy. “His deadly wound was healed, and all the world wondered . . . and they worshiped the dragon (satan) . . . make war” (Rev. 13:3-4).
a. Wonder; amaze everyone with your positive spirit and faith in God.
b. Worship, magnify God in all things.
c. War, go to work for Christ.
10. When you let God heal you. “In the day the Lord began, to heal His people and bind up their wounds, the moon will be as bright as the sun, and the sun will be seven times more brighter – like the light of seven days” (Is. 30:26, ELT). Everything will glow.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.