Summary: By Faith Noah (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: Hebrews chapter 11 verse 7:
This morning we have a Readers Digest version of the story of Noah;
• Contained in one verse of Hebrews chapter 11;
• We have a summing up of Genesis chapter 6-9 (104 verses)
“By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.”
“Because Noah had faith, he was warned about something that had not yet happened. He obeyed and built a boat that saved him and his family. In this way the people of the world were judged, and Noah was given the blessings that come to everyone who pleases God”.
“By faith, Noah built a ship in the middle of dry land. He was warned about something he couldn't see, and acted on what he was told. The result? His family was saved. His act of faith drew a sharp line between the evil of the unbelieving world and the rightness of the believing world. As a result, Noah became intimate with God”.
From the 104 verses of Genesis chapters 6-10:
• The writer pulls out one thread;
• That thread is the word ‘faith’ and that is the theme of chapter (Heb 11)
• The key verse in Hebrews chapter 11 is verse 6:
• Verse 6: “Without faith it is impossible to please God”.
• Hebrews chapter 11 starts off with a description of Faith (vs 1 to 3).
• It describes for us what faith is!
• Then the writer moves on and gives us a demonstration of faith (vs 4 to 40).
• Examples of faith expressed, lived out in the lives of these men & women.
• Faith has to be exercised, practiced as well as song about and talked about!
• Quote: Edna Butterfield.
• My husband, Ron, once taught a class of mentally impaired teenagers.
• Looking at his students’ capabilities rather than their limitations,
• Ron got them to play chess, restore furniture and repair electrical appliances.
• Most important, he taught them to ‘have faith’ that is to believe in themselves.
• One of the mentally impaired teenagers was a boy called Bobby;
• He soon proved how well he had learned that last lesson of faith.
• One day he brought in a broken toaster to repair.
• He arrived carrying the toaster tucked under one arm,
• And a half-loaf of bread under the other.
• True faith has to be more than theory, more than just a word we sing or say;
• It ultimately only proves to be faith when we practice it!
• Note: Biblical faith is never blind!
• It is rooted, sourced, it is embedded in the Word of God!
(1). Noah took God at his word
“By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen”
• If you know the story of Noah, or if you read it for the first time;
• The reason Noah acted like he did – was never his idea but God’s!
• The text is very clear God gave Noah a message;