Summary: An examination of the grace by which we are saved.
By Grace Through Faith
No subject in Bible more important than grace! Received more attention.
Yet, strangely enough, one the most misunderstood.
1. MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT GRACE
A. Saved by grace without law.
1. Evident not saved by law of Moses – Acts 13:39
2. Exclusion of salvation by law of Moses does not exclude all law. O.T.
foretold another kind of law to be included in N.C. – Micah 4; Jer. 31.
Law of Christ, liberty – James 1:27. One gendered bondage, one liberates,
different in kind & and quality.
B. Saved by grace without works.
2. Works that perfect faith – James 2:20-24
3. Was Christ a saving Savior the day of His birth? Hebrews 5:8-9, Galatians
4. Christ had to be perfected to be saving Savior, faith must be perfected
before it can save.
C. Once in the grace always in grace.
1. If two previous misconceptions true, such would be the case; no way to be
obedient or disobedient.
2. ILLUSTRATED – Genesis 6:5-8
A. Illustrates how grace is appropriated.
1. Announcement of coming judgment – Genesis 6:13
2. Instructions for building ark – Genesis 6:14-16
3. Noah’s obedience – Genesis 6:22
4. Basis was grace – Genesis 6:8
5. Appropriated by obedient faith – Hebrews 11:17
B. Noah’s obedience was the obedience of faith, NOT meritorious works.
To have been works of merit:
1. Forseen flood
2. Known way of escape
3. How to build an ark
4. How long flood would last
5. Survived flood by his own power and
C. Salvation from flood typical salvation from sin
1. Noah saved by grace, we are saved by grace
2. Appropriated God’s grace by obedient faith
3. GRACE DEMANDS FAITHFULNESS NOT PERFECTION
A. Law of Moses demanded perfection – Galatians 3:10
1. If gospel did, no different from law of Moses
2. Jesus did not tell five and two talent men, “Well done good & perfect servant.”
B. Difference in faithfulness and perfection
1. Cannot be perfect as husbands & wives, parents or Christians, but can be faithful!
2. However, not faithful when: willfully misses services of church; refuses to give as
prospered; does not study; does not seek to teach others.
C. Illus. Man on ball team deliberately strikes out: Is he faithful to team? Another man,
he also strikes out while trying his best to hit the ball. Not perfect, but faithful to his
Where do you stand in relation to God’s grace?
God’s saving grace is in His son – 2 Timothy 2:1
Way in through obedience of faith – Galatians 3:26-27
Acknowledgement to Brother Frank Chesser