Zechariah Ch.4 BY MY SPIRIT
1. THE MISSION REVEALED - 1 And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep,
Awakened Him To The :- (a) National Need (b) Material Need (c) Spiritual Need (d) His Personnal Need
There would be:-
(a) The Restoration of the Temple - golden candlestick 2 And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it
about 518BC. the Mede/Persian empire has taken over from the Babylonian one and Cyrus has given the edict to return and rebuild the temple (538BC) HAG 1:13 Then spake Haggai the LORD’S messenger in the LORD’S message unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the LORD. 14 And the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and did work in the house of the LORD of hosts, their God, 15 In the four and twentieth day of the sixth month, in the second year of Darius the king.
(b) The Revelation in the Temple - 7 lamps and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
(c) The Recognition of the Temple - work of Joshua (priest) and Jeruabbel would be accepted before God Read v. 9 & 10
2. THE MESSENGERS REVIVED - Read v 5 & 6
1. The Problems They would have to contend with :-
(1) Difficulty in the work - rubbish and rubble (So Many Obstacles)
(2) Apathy in the work Haggai 1 v. 4 "Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your ceiled houses, and this house lie waste?"
(3) Subtletly in the work - Ezra 5 v. 3 "At the same time came to them Tatnai, governor on this side the river, and Shetharboznai, and their companions, and said thus unto them, Who hath commanded you to build this house, and to make up this wall?"
(4) Jeopardy in the work - Ezra 5 v. 4 "Then said we unto them after this manner, What are the names of the men that make this building?"
Acts 9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.
1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
2. The Promses Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
God Wanted it, God Watched it, God Worked it.
3. The Purposes 9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you.
Nehemiah 6:3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?
Ezra 5 v. 11 "And thus they returned us answer, saying, We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth, and build the house that was builded these many years ago, which a great king of Israel builded and set up."
They had a right conception of their place - "stewarts", of their power, of the God of heaven
of their purpose - "and build the house" i.e. of their prize - a dwelling place for God - Ezra 5 v. 2 "Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which is at Jerusalem: and with them were the prophets of God helping them." of their provision - Zechariah 4 v. 6 "Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts."
3. THE MOUNTAINS REMOVED -
(a) The Message Of It 7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.
(b) The Miracle Of It Isaiah 64 v. 1 "Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at thy presence."
(c) The Means Of It Matthew 21 v. 21 & 22 "Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."