Summary: Do we have a passion for God’s beautiful and precious Word, which David describes as "the word of Thy lips"?
“By The Word Of Thy Lips”
1. Read Psalm 17:4 - “By The Word Of Thy Lips”
- How David Describes The Scriptures
- The Words Are From His Own Lips! God Is The Source!
- The Words Are Beautiful And Precious! Like A Friends!
- The Words Are Good And Useful!
2. IE: Man In Kansas City Injured In An Explosion - Face Badly Disfigured - Lost Both Hands - Lost Eyesight Completely - New Christian - Greatest Disappointment Was That He Could No Longer Read The Bible - Heard About An English Woman Who Read Braille With Her Lips - His Nerve Endings In His Lips Also Destroyed - Once, His Tongue Touched Some Of The Raised Characters - Read More Than Four Times Using His Tongue!
- This Man Had A Passion For God’s Words!
- He Recognized That They Are From His Own Lips!
- He Recognized That They Are Beautiful And Precious!
- He Recognized That They Are Good And Useful!
- So He Read “The Word Of Thy Lips” The Only Way He Could!
3. Do You Have A Passion For The Word Of God? The Very Word Of His Lips?
- I Want You To Recognize That God’s Words Are From His Own Lips!
- I Want You To Recognize That God’s Words Are Beautiful And Precious!
- I Want You To Recognize That God’s Words Are Good And Useful!
1. “By The Word Of Thy Lips” There Is Life!
- It Is Through God’s Word That We Have Life!
- 1 Peter 1:23 - “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
- Because Of The Word’s Activity:
- “Being Born Again”
- It Is Through God’s Word We Hear The Gospel, Believe The Gospel, And Apply The Gospel!
- It Is Through God’s Word We Are “Born Again” - New Life In Jesus Christ!
- It Is Through God’s Word We Are “Alive” In Christ - Permanent Condition!
- IE: John Wesley Robbed Returning Home From A Service One Night - Only A Little Money And Some Christian Literature - Thief Was Leaving - Wesley - “Stop! I have something more to give you.” - “My friend, you may live to regret this sort of life. If you ever do, here’s something to remember: ‘The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin’!” (1 John 1:7) - Years Later - Greeted By A Successful Christian Businessman - The Robber! - God’s Word, The Very Word Of His Lips, Gave Him Life Through The Gospel!
- Because Of The Word’s Character!
- “Not Of Corruptible Seed, But Of Incorruptible”
- It Produces, But Does Not Decay!
- IE: Seed Planted Produced Corn - Grew & Flourished - Season Ending, Lack Of Rain, Heat Of The Summer Takes Its Toll - Turn Brown & Brittle Before Being Harvested - Seed Of God’s Word Grows And Flourishes, But Will Never Turn Brittle And Die!
- Isaiah 55:11 - “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.”
- Because Of The Word’s Permanence!
- “Which Liveth And Abideth For Ever”
* “By The Word Of Thy Lips” There Is Life!
- Receive The Words Of Life From The Lips Of God!
- “Receive With Meekness The Engrafted Word, Which Is Able To Save Your Souls!” (James 1:21)
2. “By The Word Of Thy Lips” There Is Direction!
- It Is Through God’s Word That We Have Guidance!
- Psalms 119:105 - “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
- Our Need Of The Word’s Direction:
- “Unto My Feet” & “Unto My Path”
- IE: Making decisions in the dark can lead to some regrettable consequences. Back in the days before electricity, a tightfisted old farmer was taking his hired man to task for carrying a lighted lantern when he went to call on his best girl. “Why,” he exclaimed, “when I went a-courtin’ I never carried one of them things. I always went in the dark.” “Yes,” the hired man said wryly,” and look what you got!”
- Spiritual Direction - “Paths Of Righteousness”
- The Supply Of The Word’s Direction:
- “The Word Of Thy Lips!”
- The Purpose Of The Word’s Direction:
- “Lamp” & “Light”
- “We are walkers through the city of this world, and we are often called to go out into its darkness; let us never venture there without the light giving word, lest we slip with our feet. Each man should use the word of God personally, practically, and habitually, that he may see his way and see what lies in it. When darkness settles down upon all around me, the word of the Lord, like a flaming torch, reveals my way.” (Spurgeon)