Summary: PAUL CHARACTERIZES HIS LIFE AS CALLED & SEPARATED. THIS STUDY LOOKS AT THE MEANING OF THOSE TWO VERBS PAUL USES TO DESCRIBE HIMSELF
Called & Separated Romans 1:1-2
1. Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
2. (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
I. Calling (from God)
a. Calling in Romans
i. 1:6. Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
ii. 1:7. To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints
iii. 4:17. God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
iv. 8:28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
v. 8:30. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
vi. 9:25. As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
vii. 11:29. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
b. Calling throughout Scripture
i. From the Old Testament
1. Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where [art] thou?
2. Genesis 22 -- The Lord called to Abraham . . .
3. Exodus 3:4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here [am] I.
4. 1 Samuel 3:8 And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here [am] I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.
ii. From Jesus in the Gospels
1. Mark 1:20 And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him.
2. Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.
3. Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
iii. From Peter
1. Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.
2. 1 Peter 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
iv. One of Paul’s favorite teachings
1. 1 Corinthians 1: 23-27
a. 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;