Summary: this sermon teaches about what it means to be called a Disciple of Jesus.
Called to be His Disciple
A. Sometimes as you read through and study the Bible you find those extraordinary “Calls” by God with people:
- Adam and Eve, Gen. 3:9, “The Lord called to the man, ‘Where are you?”
- Gen. 6; God calls Noah to build an Ark and prepare for His judgment.
- Gen. 12, The Lord called Abram to leave your country, your people … and go to the land I will show you.” I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you…”
- Ex. 3, God calls Moses through a Burning Bush.
- Joshua 1:6, God calls Joshua to be strong and courageous because he will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers.
1Sam. 3, The Lord calls Samuel 3 times in the night until Eli finally realizes that it is the Lord and so instructed Samuel in the ways of the Lord.
The Call of David - the Call of Paul on the road to Damascus.
Over and over in Scripture there are some pretty remarkable calls of the Lord on people.
But when you read these special Calls of special People to serve the Lord in special ways, it is easy to think that the Lord couldn’t or wouldn’t call us.
B. Yet, Scripture also records plenty of Special calls on ordinary people, like you and me!
Through faith in Jesus Christ we are CALLED: A Child of God, A Friend, A New Creation, A People belonging God, Joint Heirs with Jesus, the Temple of God, etc.
Another special Calling of God on anyone who trusts and confesses Jesus as their Savior and Lord is DISCIPLE!
(Turn to the person next to you and say: “You are Called to be His Disciple”)
C. Today, we don’t really use the Word Disciple that often but it is the perfect word to describe what we are called to be in the Lord.
The Word itself means to be a Learner, a follower of Jesus – but the word is always used to reflect a Learner/follower who is in relationship with Jesus!
That is the purpose of this passage today to help Peter, Andrew (probably) as well as John and James what it really means to be Called a Disciple of Jesus!
Jesus has known Peter and Andrew they have committed themselves and were followers of Jesus but now Jesus wants to teach them and us what it truly means to be His Disciple.
It means more than just a one time verbal confession to Follow Jesus – Peter had done that in John 1 (about a year ago).
It means more than just listening (or reading) the words of Jesus – that is what the crowd is doing as Jesus teaches them from Peter’s boat.
D. So what do we learn about being Called a Disciple of Jesus? What does it mean to be His Disciple?
A. A Disciple is one who follows Jesus, even when it doesn’t make sense, Vs. 4-6
- Now we already know that part of being a Disciple means to Follow. It is an essential part of being a Disciple of Jesus by following Him where He leads us.
- But the interesting point in this passage is that Jesus is teaching Peter and companions that a Disciple will follow Jesus because He says so (vs. 5b) – no matter what. Even when it doesn’t make any sense. Even if we have failed at trying before. Even if what Jesus calls us to do goes against what others might think.