Summary: In the Sermon on the Mount we find Jesus instructing the Disciples on how to conduct themselves as Christian. One of the things Jesus addressed was our relationship with the world. He called us to "Be Light".
Called to Be Light
Lakewood COG | Speaker: Pastor Jonathan | 3-26-2017
Today is a continuation of the Disciples training by Jesus that I like to call “The Christian’s Code of Conduct” - commonly known as “The Sermon on the Mount”.
Show slides and ask, “What do you see?”
¥ Just married (Gay Couple)
¥ Lady in a Burka
¥ People Rioting etc.
We can’t win them if we hate them!
I. Called To Be Light - Matthew 5:14-16
A. You (the Church) is the light of the world.
1. Not the government, educational system, your neighbor etc…
2. As the Church we need to embrace our “Lighthood”!
B. A “City”… God has called us to “Community”
1. To declare the works of the Lord
2. To live out loud
3. To demonstrate the power of God for today!
1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
C. “Let your light so shine…” The light will manifest!
1. Through moral excellence,
2. Praiseworthy, noble and good deeds,
3. The Results - Men will recognize, honor, praise and glorify your Father
¥ When Jesus called us to be the “Light of the World”, He was calling us to be like Him!
II. Sons of the Light - John 12:35-36
A. When we walk about in the dark we are drifting…
1. Life with God brings purpose, guidance and direction.
B. While you have the Light, believe in the light that you may become “sons of the Light” and be filled with the Light.
1. Jesus is the Light of the World!
2. What’s around you will get in you and influence you from the inside out.
C. James 1:17-18 identifies God as the “Father of Lights”
1. We are “begotten (procreated or generated) with the “Word of Truth”. (We are generated by God making us the Genealogy of God)
2. We are the first fruits of God’s creatures! (God values us and sees us as precious)
3. We are harvest from the Seed of David that was planted in a borrowed tomb!
III. The Light Brings Us Together! - 1 John 1:5-7
A. God IS Light! God is the very definition of light.
1. God impacts everything He touches.
2. There is nothing hid from God because it’s not possible to hid something in the light!
B. True fellowship with God will create unbroken fellowship with each other!
1. This is why I say to young people that they should be so lost in God that the only people that can see them are those that are seeking God.
C. If God’s light is in us it will shine out of us. - Luke 11:34-36
1. Make sure that you are exposed to the right kind of teaching concerning God. How do you know it’s right? EXAMINE THE FRUIT!
Closing: We are called to be light