Summary: In an age of deception and suspicion, this message encourages both believer and seeker alike that our God CAN be trusted.
January 23, 2005
CAN GOD BE TRUSTED?
The book, "The Day America Told the Truth" says that 91 percent of those surveyed lie routinely about matters they consider trivial, and 36 percent lie about important matters; 86 percent lie regularly to parents, 75 percent to friends, 73 percent to siblings, and 69 percent to spouses.
How can we know that God can be trusted?
1. Through His Proven ACTIONS. vv. 13-15
- When we look for trustworthiness, we look for a proven track record -- God has one!!
- God was true to His promise with Abraham as well as many others throughout scripture, and throughout history
- we may sometimes question God’s timing, His methods, but we will always find that He keeps His promises.
2. Through His Proven CHARACTER. vv. 16-18
- It is hard to argue against proven character. Why do people turn to God when times get rough? Because they know there is security in His name when there is none in their circumstances.
- God’s ways have remained unaltered and untainted throughout time and circumstances
- He is truthful because He is truth -- in the same way that truth cannot contradict itself and truth does not change -- God cannot contradict Himself nor does He change
3. Through His Proven SAVIOUR. v. 19-20
- we often have heard the saying, “Put your money where your mouth is!” In other words, if what you are saying is true, then be willing to back it up!
- God was willing to back up His promise of salvation by sending His only begotten Son to be our Saviour.
- To become our High Priest, not offering an animal sacrifice as the O.T. law required, but offering His own life
- Would you trust someone who was willing to give their own flesh and blood for you? If so, then you can trust God!!
KNOWING THAT GOD IS TRUSTWORTHY NOW, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO???