Summary: Dealing with the National Tragedy of September 11, 2001
Message: Capitol Hill Or Calvary’s Hill
I. Psalm 121:1; “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from
whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord,
which made heaven and earth.”
A. GOD’S HELP IS SOUGHT LOOKING TO THE HILLS
1. Hill = a swell of earth smaller than a mountain
2. Help always seemed to come in from the hills
B. THIS PSALM TEACHES US.
1. To stay ourselves upon God as a God of power and a God all-sufficient for us.
David did so and found the benefit of it.
2. We must see all our help laid up in God, in his power and goodness, his
providence and grace; and from him we must expect it to come: "My help comes
from the Lord
3. The help I desire is what he sends, and from him I expect it in his own way and
time. If he does not help, no creature can help; if he does, no creature can hinder,
or can hurt.
4. We must have faith in help from God, by faith in His promises, and a due regard
to all His institutions.
C. WORLD AT WAR!
1. We are still reeling from September 11, 2001
a. We are looking for answers!
b. We are searching for reasons!
c. We are exacting retribution!
d. We are looking for help!
2. We have turned to our Government to answer these
a. We are looking for the president to do something!
b. We are looking for the Congress to do something!
c. We are looking for the military to do something!
d. We are looking to Capitol Hill!
3. What Hill are you—God’s child, looking to!
a. Capitol Hill—man
b. Calvary’s Hill—God!
II. CAPITOL HILL OR CALVARY’S HILL
A. God sets up and allows man to govern himself
1. I support our President and our Government
a. Weak as they are…..
b. With all its flaws…..
c. With all of her skeletons…..we live in a great country.
B. God, the Divine Trinity, also set up Calvary’s Hill!
1. I love the Lord and have total trust in Him and Him.
a. Weak as I am!
b. With all of MY flaws...YOUR flaws…
c. With a closet filled with LIVE skeletons….THANK
GOD FOR CALVARY!
III. FOUR POINTS ABOUT CAPITOL HILL OR CALVARY’S HILL
A. The Place…(Capitol Hill vs. Calvary’s Hill)
1. Capitol Hill is the seat of our power and authority!
Calvary’s Hill is the place where All Power was given.
2. Capitol Hill represents the Law!
Calvary’s Hill represents God’s Grace!
3. Capitol Hill is the place where our leader lives!
Calvary’s Hill is where our Saviour died!
4. Capitol Hill is a place for people to take a vacation!
Calvary’s Hill is the place where people find salvation!
B. The Purpose…(Capitol Hill vs. Calvary’s Hill)
1. Capitol Hill is for keeping our nation from chaos
Calvary’s Hill is for keeping my soul from hell!
2. Capitol Hill is where we can make our voices heard!
Calvary’s Hill is that allows my prayers to be heard!
3. Capitol Hill interprets the laws of the land!
Calvary’s Hill fulfilled the Laws Of God!
C. The Provision…(Capitol Hill vs. Calvary’s Hill)
1. Capitol Hill provide national defense
Calvary’s Hill provides complete victory!
2. Capitol Hill provides liberty and justice…
Calvary’s Hill provides Mercy & Grace!
3. Capitol Hill provides social security in our old age…