Summary: No one will ever go through life without experiencing a storm! No one gets through life without experiencing the storm!
Sermon: Caught In A Storm
Jennifer Mears 3/27/2007
No one will ever go through life without experiencing a storm!
No one gets through life without experiencing the storm!
You’ve noticed that, haven’t you?
In fact, during most of our lives, we will endure more than one storm!
Each storm will threaten our entire being…and the state of our soul
Soul= our mind + our will + our emotions
• takes many different forms
• affects our lives in many different ways
• all storms contain some common elements
o they usually come on “all of a sudden”
o they take us by surprise
o they can bring on and may fill our hearts with fear
o they test our faith
o God wants us to trust Him through it
o God wants us to let Him have control of it
o God hopes that the storm will cause us to cry out to Jesus for help
• If we conduct ourselves properly….
o The storm will become a building block of faith
o Storms will actually equip us for the storms that are still ahead.
o Storms will equip us and strengthen us for everyday life
o Storms will cause us to grow in Spirit and in Truth (call them “growing pains” , if you will)
Think of some of the storms of life which have invaded the life of yourself or of someone
• the storm of illness - sudden or prolonged;
• the storm of death - the death of a loved one,- a child, a partner; especially one not
expected to die ;
• the storm of rejection- divorce, separation, abandonment;
• the storm of unjust criticism;
• the storm of emotional trauma - hatred, anger, resentment, bitterness;
• the storm of physical loss - loss of home, loss of job, loss of money, loss of security;
• the storm of accident, or some event which may change the course of our life in an instant
One thing that I have discovered through time and experience
• Being a Christian, a follower of Jesus, does not exempt us from the trials of life…
• Jesus Himself told us in that we WOULD go through trials and tribulation…
Library > Words > Dictionary
1. Great affliction, trial, or distress; suffering: Their tribulation has finally passed. See synonyms at trial.
2. An experience that tests one’s endurance, patience, or faith. See synonyms at burden1.
[Middle English tribulacioun, from Old French tribulacion, from Latin trîbulâtiô, trîbulâtiôn-, from trîbulâtus, past participle of trîbulâre, to oppress, from Latin trîbulum, threshing-sledge.]
TRIALS AND TRIBULATION…
o What about you?
o Have you experienced some storms in your life?
o Is there any storm threatening you at the present time?
Well, don’t feel too bad because the disciples of Jesus were not exempt from either.
1. It was Jesus who sent them into the storm.
45 And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people. 46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.
47 And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.