Summary: God gave Peter a vision to change the way he looked at people. We need to see people the way God does.
CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK...At People: Unclean to Clean
Acts 10:1-16 January 7, 2009
God gives Peter a vision to help him see people like God does. God can change the way we look...at people!
• How would people describe you in one word? (The truth is you probably don’t really know!)
• Would you like to experience change? Please don’t say you have no regrets or wouldn’t change anything.
• Change is the Hot Word Today: Ask God what needs to change in your life.
• Are there any people in your life that you want nothing to do with? Why?
Acts Review: A New Church: A major change is about to occur that will require a major change in thinking.
Change will come into our lives when we change the way we look at people:
We can experience change in the following ways:
I. Recognize that there are people different from me that are seeking God.
• A Roman officer, Gentile, probably not well liked by Jews, Christians
• Probably wealthy
• But he feared God, prayed, and gave to the needy.
• But being good does not make you a Christian.
B. What about people who have not heard the Gospel?
• And you shall seek me, and find me, when you shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13
• But he did not know Jesus or the message of the Gospel
• Challenge: Ask someone if they have heard the Good News.
Illus: What would you do after you won the Heisman? Tim Tebow: Goes to prisons.
“One day, people are going to forget about the Heisman Trophy, the jump pass and the national championship. One day, this [championship] ring is going to rust. There are only four things that are going to last forever: God, his word, people and rewards.”
"Because I’m so passionate about it, and because I learned that gift so early, I don’t want to go to heaven and hear Jesus tell me, ’Tim, why didn’t you tell someone else about it?’
II. Peter has a vision: We need a vision to see people the way God does.
• Do not call anything unclean that God has made.
• Who is “unclean” to us?
o People we look down on, even people “better” than us
o We need to be able to relate to different kinds of people.
• It took God three times to get Peter’s attention
o (Peter denied Jesus three times, Jesus asked Peter if he loved him three times)
o How many times will it take for God to get our attention?
This is critical: key people would bring the Gospel to the world. There are people in your life that are critical to what God wants to do.
We are not here for a building or a denomination; we are here for God and real, living people.
Change is hard, but it feels good when it is done!
Don’t be one dimensional: (Don’t be “one word”)
• See beyond your world – your friends.
(You probably won’t talk to your best friend five years from now)
• Do not look down on people not like you
• Even people “better” than you.
• “I’m just quiet, shy…” maybe you’re rude.
• Develop some social skills. Learn to say hi, thank you,
• Put away your cell and your ipod and pay attention to the people standing next to you!
• Even stuck up people need God – maybe they are masking a lot of pain.