Summary: The Holy Spirit catalyzes change in people, situations and organizations. A catalyst is someone that precipitates change without being altered in the process. The Spirit has a clear view of every person’s heart and mind so that He knows what changes are n
Changed by the Spirit
Song: (To the tune of I sing the mighty power of God who made the mountains rise)
1. O Spirit of the living God,
thou light and fire divine,
descend upon thy church once more,
and make it truly thine.
Fill it with love and joy and power,
with righteousness and peace;
till Christ shall dwell in human hearts,
and sin and sorrow cease.
2. Blow, wind of God! With wisdom blow
until our minds are free
from mists of error, clouds of doubt,
which blind our eyes to thee.
Burn, winged fire! Inspire our lips
with flaming love and zeal,
to preach to all thy great good news,
God’s glorious commonweal.
3. Teach us to utter living words
of truth which all may hear,
the language all may understand
when love speaks loud and clear;
till every age and race and clime
shall blend their creeds in one,
and earth shall form one family
by whom thy will is done.
4. So shall we know the power of Christ
who came this world to save;
so shall we rise with him to life
which soars beyond the grave;
and earth shall win true holiness,
which makes thy children whole;
till, perfected by thee, we reach
creation’s glorious goal!
1. CATAYLYZES - The Holy Spirit catalyzes change in people, situations and organizations. A catalyst is someone that precipitates change without being altered in the process. The Spirit has a clear view of every person’s heart and mind so that He knows what changes are necessary. Paul wrote,
"And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will." (Romans 8:27)
Application: Ask the Lord for help in catalyzing positive changes in the people, situation and organization you are working with.
2. HARMONIZES GIFTS - The Holy Spirit uses a variety of gifts, abilities and personalities to affect change. God is able to harmonize a wide diversity of gifts, talents and personalities for the most effective change in people and organizations. Paul wrote,
"There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good." (I Cor. 12:6,7)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you understand and cooperate with the way the Spirit is harmonizing a wide variety of peoples’ gifts, abilities and personalities to effect His changes in you and the church.
3. EMPOWERS - The Holy Spirit acts as an effective power broker in bringing about spiritual changes. The Holy Spirit’s authority is able to influence people with the wise use of His power in affecting change. Paul wrote,
"God has not given us the spirit of fear, but a Spirit of power, love and discipline." (2 Tim. 1:7)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you appropriate the power given to you in the Spirit and in His precious promises
4. GIVES SOLUTIONS - The Holy Spirit acts as a solution giver so that His changes will cause Christ’s kingdom and righteousness to grow. The Spirit does not quickly offer solutions to problems until people are really ready to obey His directives. Paul wrote,
"To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit." (I Cor. 12:8)
Application: Ask the Lord to connect you, by the Spirit’s empowerment, to people who are able to supply you with the wisdom, knowledge and skill to accomplish the very best of God’s purposes, plans and processes.
5. NETWORKS - The Holy Spirit helps you network with people who are specialists in certain areas where changes are needed. The Spirit is able to connect you with a wide variety of people, organizations and resources that will enable you to effect the greatest changes for Christ and His kingdom. Paul wrote,
"But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other." (I Cor. 12:24,25)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you network with people who are specialists in areas where the most strategic changes are needed for the accomplishing of His will.
6. CONFERS AND COMMUNICATES - The Holy Spirit is able to help you negotiate the best solution to perplexing problems. The Spirit helps us confer with all kinds of people, organizations and resources to bring about the best solution for our problems.
The Spirit has unique abilities to facilitate the resolution of conflicts using the best ideas, people and resources. Dr. Luke wrote of Paul’s Spirit led negotiations before King Agrippa,