Summary: Churches need to be Spiritually Healthy
Characteristics of a Healthy Church
Introduction: “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.” - Erma Bombeck
I. A Healthy Characteristic is a Church that Prays together.
- "We are too busy to pray, and so we are too busy to have power. We have a great deal of activity, but we accomplish little; many services but few conversions; much machinery but few results." ~R.A. Torrey
A. Satan came against the church. (vs.1-18)
B. The Church Responds with Prayer (vs.24-30)
1. They recognized who God is. (v.24)
2. They prayed scripture. (vs.25-27)
3. By this knowing God’s will. (vs.28-30)
C. God Responds to Prayer with Grace and Power (v.31;33)
1. They saw God’s power.
2. They were given God’s power.
3. They used God’s power for His glory not for theirs.
4. They received God’s Grace.
II. A Healthy Church is focused on Preaching Christ.
- "The only reason some of us are not exiled or thrown into prison is simply because we do not preach as fervently and as sternly as did Paul, John, Peter and others. This modern "santa claus" religion that is sweeping country today is not the religion Jesus taught and John practiced." ~Oliver B. Greene
A. The world came against them because of Christ. (vs.1-7)
B. They preached Christ to those who came against them. (vs.10-12)
C. They preached Christ with boldness. (v.13)
D. Preaching Christ in the power of the HG amazes the lost. (v.13)
E. Notice the ability to preach Christ with power and boldness comes from praying together.
Conclusion: "Let's quit fiddling with religion and do something to bring the world to
Christ." ~ Billy Sunday