Summary: Churches Need to be Spiritually Healthy
Characteristics of Healthy Church
Introduction: Illustration of “Great Leadership”
I. A Healthy Church is always equipping the Saints
A. The primary equipper is the Pastor
1. This is accomplished through the regular preaching of the word. (I Timothy 4:1-4)
2. This is accomplished through teaching other church leaders
B. The secondary equipper is the leadership (i.e. Deacons, teachers, etc)
1. The pastor leads the church through the preaching. (I Timothy 4:1-4)
2. The pastor leads the church is through the leadership
II. A Healthy Church equips the Saints for the work of the ministry.
A. The primary tool for equipping is God’s word. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
B. The work of the ministry is not an option (Matthew 7:16)
C. The work of the ministry is not to be done by just a few. (I Corinthians 15:58)
D. Everyone needs to know where they are gifted by God to serve (I Corinthians 12)
E. Church leaders are equipped and called (Acts 20:28)
F. Church leaders need to be willing to give ministry away. (I Timothy 1:18)
III. A Healthy Church equips the Saints to be edified.
- The idea here is to “nurture” the saints
A. Church leadership needs to look after the spiritual condition of the Saints.
B. Church leadership needs to look after the encouragement of the Saints.
C. Church Leadership needs to look after the spiritual development of the Saints.
IV. A Healthy Church equips the Saints for the unity of the faith.
A. So we are not “blown” about by every doctrine. (2 Timothy 4:3-4)
- We need to have critical thinking skills when listening to doctrine. (I John 4:1)
B. So that we are unified in doctrine. (Galatians 1:6-7)