Summary: In the face of the Coronavirus Pandemic, we have the power to choose our response. When we choose Faith Over Fear - Wisdom Over Worry - And Prayer Over Panic -- we can experience the “PEACE OF GOD, WHICH SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING” that we read about in PHILIPPIANS 4:7.
TITLE: CHARGING GOD FOOLISHLY
SCRIPTURE: JOB 1:21-22
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization announced the Coronavirus or what we now refer to as COVID-19 a Pandemic. Two days later, on March 13, 2020, the United States through the White House announced the coronavirus pandemic to be a national emergency. Within hours entire State School Systems Closed - Employees Mandated To Work From Home - Businesses Closed - And Grocery Stores Emptied.
As plans increased to combat the spread of this disease, anxieties increased as well. During this time, I have become laser-focused to pray against this disease and the many people it’s affecting all around the globe.
• Everyday challenges can be a test of our faith
• Not only are people worried about their health; as SCHOOLS AND JOBS CLOSE - PEOPLE ARE ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT CHILDCARE - ELDERLY FAMILY IN NURSING HOMES - AND BILLS
• 30 Million people across the nation have filed for Unemployment Benefits
• This pandemic is not only a threat to our health but has shaken our trust in God
If God took care of us before this Pandemic, please know that He has not changed.
• Although everything is changing at rapid speed - God is not
• He is the same faithful God before this outbreak that He will be once it passes
• Our faith can be steady because our God is faithfully unchanging
• This truth alone can strengthen us not to give in to fear and not to CHARGE GOD FOOLISHLY
In the face of the Coronavirus Pandemic, we have the power to choose our response. When we choose Faith Over Fear - Wisdom Over Worry - And Prayer Over Panic -- we can experience the “PEACE OF GOD, WHICH SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING” that we read about in PHILIPPIANS 4:7. In doing so, we become the light of Christ in a very dark situation.
• We must be careful in our response during this season
• There are many pointing a finger at God and blaming God for this Pandemic
Almost everyone is acquainted with the suffering of Job found in our text this morning. You remember God allowed Satan to afflict Job to test his integrity. Job, who was the wealthiest man in the East, lost everything –
• His Children
• His Possessions
• Was caused to suffer Extreme Physical Pain
• But through it all, he patiently endured and remained true to God
The Bible calls to our attention -- Just like that! All Job’s prosperity is gone in one afternoon.
• I am sure he could not help but to wonder - What in the world is going on here?
• To see what is going on, we have to look outside the world
• This world alone never answers the great questions of life
• Some answers are only found in Heaven
• So, the writer gives us a glimpse into heaven to understand better what is happening on earth
The Bible tells us Job accepted his suffering saying - "NAKED I CAME FROM MY MOTHER'S WOMB, AND NAKED I SHALL RETURN. THE LORD GIVETH AND THE LORD TAKETH AWAY, BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD. THROUGH ALL THIS JOB DID NOT SIN NOR DID HE CHARGE GOD FOOLISHLY.”
• Under the strain of distress and pain, we may be tempted to question the wisdom or even the goodness of God
• In suffering, there is sometimes a temptation, and even a tendency, to think - "God doesn't care about me" or "He isn't being fair with me"
• One might even dare question the Love of God under such circumstance
• Some allow their demise to overtake their heart and mind and make them haters of God
Job's tribulations exceeded what most men would imagine possible.
• His oxen were stolen
• His servants were killed
• His sheep died
• The Chaldeans killed, yet other servants, and fell upon the camels
• Then came the worst news of all!
• A great wind had torn down the house where his sons and daughters were, and all were killed
• Following this tragedy, he experienced the personal pain of boils on his own body
• Then, to top it all off, his wife and friends were of no help, nor of any comfort
• Matter fact, his wife encouraged him to “Curse God and Die”
• Still Job never charged God foolishly
• His Religion was Real
• His Faith was Firm
Virtually everyone here today, and those viewing on Live Stream will experience a bitter calamity sooner or later. And you can mark it down ahead of time - it will almost certainly seem absurd and meaningless and undeserved when it comes.
• You may be sitting in a restaurant in Ardmore