Summary: Knowing how to choose friends is one of most important skills you’ll ever develop. Friends help shape your life because of their strong influence; therefore it is important to choose the right friends. In the Word of God, He shows us how to select friend
· Knowing how to choose friends is one of most important skills you’ll ever develop.
· Friends help shape your life because of their strong influence; therefore it is important to choose the right friends.
· In the Word of God, He shows us how to select friend to be part of our life.
· Who we hang with is who we become. We need to use Godly wisdom in our relationships.
· Choosing good friends can be a blessing or a cursing to our lives.
· Let us look to the Word and see what God has to say about choosing Godly friend.
1) We must examine our relationships.
a) Choosing good friendships is essential to our well-being.
i) A good friend knows how to empower you for success.
ii) The wrong friend can be a curse.
(NKJV) Proverbs 12 26 The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray.
(1) We must cut off any relationships that aren’t productive.
(2) Those who walk in opposition to God’s Word can cause you to go astray, keep your distance from these people.
2) Don’t be unequally yoked with any person, Christian or non-Christian that lives opposed to the Word.
(NKJV) 2 Corinthians 6 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.” 17 Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.” 18 “I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.”
a) The Bible says that evil company corrupts good character (1 Corinthians 15:33).
i) If you want to live right, you will have to keep the right company.
b) You are known by the company you keep.
(NKJV) Proverbs 13 20 He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed.
i) We need to guard our time with people; we can not be everyone’s friend.
(1) We must be loyal to the Word of God.
(2) We can choose God or the world’s way of doing things. One brings blessing, one brings great pain and sorrow.
ii) The Bible tells us to separate ourselves from unbelievers.
iii) A friendship with the world hinders your relationship with the Heavenly Father. You need relationships that enhance your relationship with God.
(1) Don’t just accept anyone into your life because you are lonely.
(2) Don’t form friendships with people that stand against everything you believe. (God, church, morals, etc)
c) You cannot be friends with the world and God.
(NKJV) James 4 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
3) There are three levels of friendship.