Summary: This first in a letter study series deals with the idea of being chosen by God. What does it mean and what are we chosen for?
Over the next few weeks we are going to be taking an intense look at the letter of Paul to the Ephesians. This is really only loosely intended to be a series of teachings as the lessons are connected only by two things ¡V 1) the letter itself and 2) that this letter contains the instructions of Paul to the church about how to be the church. I love this introduction to the letter because it addresses one of the most spectacular ideas in all the world ¡V that we are ¡§chosen by God¡¨.
„« Deut 7:6For you are a people holy to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession.
„« I Cor. 3:12As God¡¦s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.
„« I Peter 2:4Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God¡¦s sight, and 5like living stones, let yourselves be builtƒninto a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
„« I Peter 2:9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God¡¦s own people,„T in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
The idea of being chosen is a wonderful one ¡V we have talked many times about being chosen for a team at school. What does it make you feel like when someone chooses you?
If we are chosen we must be chosen for something Paul makes a list in this passage of important things we are chosen for.
1) To Be Holy ¡V v4 ¡V we are not chosen to be worthless beggars, dirty, foul, or unclean ¡V we are chosen to be holy, set apart for Him. Pure and undefiled. Precious and sanctified.
2) To Be Children ¡V v5. We are chosen to be His children ¡V adopted with a purpose to be His own. No mistakes here ¡V we are created and adopted into the family of God.
3) To Be Blessed ¡V v7-9. I don¡¦t know how else to describe it. We are chosen by God to have His love lavished on us. The greek word is perisseuo ¡V it means to overflow ¡V or have an abundance that is in excess. We are also blessed to know the truth. Musterion ¡V mystery ¡V He has disclosed to us the wonder of that which all men can know but only few choose to know.
4) To Obtain and Inheritance ¡V v11 ¡V What is our inheritance? The fullness of the Spirit, the riches of heaven, the peace of the Spirit, the kingdom of God.
5) To Be Temples ¡V v13 ¡V we have been chosen to serve as the temples of the Holy Spirit. The Holy of Holies set up in our hearts. The Old Testement believer would long for what we have been given. The Spirits guidance through every day.
The wonders of being ¡§chosen¡¨ by God. Not accidentally do we come but through the kind intention and wooing of God. Thus is the church put together ¡V all individuals ¡V all one ¡V adopted by one Father into His family ¡V to be His beloved.