Summary: Christ was there in the Garden of Eden: 1. Seeking to connect with sinners (vs. 8-9). 2. Seeing through our conniving ways (vs. 7-13). 3. Showing us the consequences of our sin (vs. 14-19). 4. Showing us the cross (vs. 14-15 & 21).
15. And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel."
*This story relates to us in some most important ways.
-We are all descended from Adam & Eve.
-We all inherited their sin.
-And we all inherited their death.
1. But Christ was there in the Garden of Eden. First, He was there seeking to connect with sinners.
*In vs. 8&9 we see the Lord seeking to connect with Adam & Eve:
8. And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
9. Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, "Where are you?''
*“Where are you?” the Lord asked. Don’t you think He knew? -- Of course He did.
-But the Lord wanted them to wake up to where their sin had taken them.
-God also wanted them to know that He was seeking for them.
*The Lord did not want them to be lost. II Peter 3:9 tells us that He is not willing for any to perish.
-So the Lord was there in the Garden seeking for Adam & Eve.
-And now Jesus is the Good Shepherd is seeking for us.
*Hear the Lord in Luke 15:4-7:
4. “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the 99 in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?
5. And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
6. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, `Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!'
7. I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 just persons who need no repentance.
*The Lord wants to connect with us in a close, personal way, so He seeks for us, and He calls out to us. In the Garden, He called out to Adam, asking, “Where are you?” And in Matt 11:28-29, Jesus calls out to us, saying:
28. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
*The Lord walked and talked in the Garden of Eden seeking for Adam & Eve.
-Two thousand years ago, Jesus walked in our world again to seek for sinners like us.
-Now the Holy Spirit of the Lord is here to seek for sinners like us.
*The Lord wants to connect with us in a close, personal way. Jim Irwin found that out in a most unusual place.
*Jim was one of only 12 men who have ever walked on the moon. Even as a child, Jim had a dream of going to the moon. And because of this dream, Jim first became a test pilot for the Air Force. Then he became an astronaut.
*Jim Irwin flew on Apollo 15, and on July 26, 1971, he fulfilled his dream of walking on the moon. Jim was the seventh man to accomplish that feat.
*But while he was standing on the moon, looking back at our world the size of a blue marble, Jim Irwin felt the presence of God like never before.