Summary: Everyone has a master, something or someone is ruled and governed by. Christ shows us who should be our master and why.
Christ Mastered Life
“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You can not serve both God and Money”
Every person has a Master something by which he is ruled or governed
A. Some are Mastered by Power
1. Alexander the Great was a ruler and general. He built a world power by conquering the other powerful kingdoms of the world. He cried when there were no more powerful kingdoms to conquer. His life was mastered by the desire for power…He died in disgrace in a drunken condition
2. Hannibal the great general is another man whose life was mastered by power. He sought to build his world kingdom by the sword and was able to fill three-bushel measures full of gold rings from the fingers of the slain. His life was mastered by the desire for power…He died in a foreign country, a victim of poison by his own hand.
3. Caesar was mastered by the lust for power. He conquered 800 cities and dyed his garments in the blood of a million foes. His life was mastered by the desire for power…He died at the hand of his best friend.
B. Some are Mastered by Property
1. Those are people who desire only riches. There are many people who though may be unconscious of it are completely mastered by the desire of wealth.
2. The Rich Ruler and Jesus. His riches were too important to him. He could not give them up. His life was mastered by what he had. Luke 18:23 (quickview)  “When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth”
3. Remember the rich man and Lazarus. His master was wealth. He was consumed with what he had and what he could get. What happened to him…Luke 16:23 (quickview)  “In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.”
C. Some are Mastered by Self
1. By self I mean just what the poet said:
“Living for self and self alone,
And none but self besides,
Living as though Jesus had never lived,
As if he had never died.”
2. The self mastered person forgets that life is more than just living for self
3. The self mastered man forgets that none of us are here just simply to obtain more wealth, eat three meals a day, but that we have a charge to keep, a God to glorify, and a lost and dying world to teach about the saving Grace of Jesus.
4. Paul said, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” Galatians 2:20 (quickview) , he realized the danger of being mastered by self.” Paul said “I die daily” 1 Corinthians 15:31 (quickview)
5. Me, myself, and I are the traits of a self-mastered person.
6. A self-mastered person forgets that he is a steward of the Almighty God, and that real life extends out beyond self and selfish interests.
7. Cain was mastered by self, and he slew his brother.
D. Some are Mastered by Christ
1. I am so glad that throughout the past and today many are completely mastered by Christ. There are many men and women, whose hands, feet, all their body, their business, all is ruled by Jesus Christ.