Summary: Christ my Contentment
Reading: Philippians chapter 4 verses 1-11:
• (1). Kathy’s children’s cough medicine contains this warning:
• “Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication”
• (2). Boots hairdryer:
• “Do not use while sleeping!”
• (3). Marks & Spenser’s bread pudding:
• “Product will be hot after heating!”
• (4). Our Christmas lights from B&Q contain this helpful information:
• “For indoor and outdoor use only”
• (5). Sainsbury’s peanuts;
• “Warning product contains nuts!”
• Samuel Clement (better known by his alias Mark Twain);
• Attended a Sunday morning services.
• He met the pastor at the door afterward and told him;
• That he had a book at home with every word the pastor had preached that morning.
• The minister said, impossible and assured him that the sermon was an original.
• Clement (Mark Twain) still held his position.
• The pastor wanted to see this book so Clement said he would send it over in the morning.
• When the preacher unwrapped it,
• And looked at the book that contained every word the pastor had preached that morning,
• Mark Twain sent him a dictionary and in the flyleaf was written this:
"Words, just words, just words."
This weekend I hope these sessions have been more than;
• "Words, just words, just words."
• I believe that these words have the power to change us!
• “Some books inform, some books reform, only the Bible transforms!”
• Now as a Christian I need changing;
• And in these first five verses of chapter 4 there are 5 areas I need help with.
(1). Stability (verse 1):
• Paul’s first request is that these Christians "Stand fast." Or "Stand firm."
• ill: Chart. ill: Yo - yo. (ill: Malarial Christianity).
(2). Harmony (verse 2):
• Paul’s second request is that these Christians have the "Same mind" or "to agree."
• Question: How many conflicts have you had this week?
• We might be out and out arguing:
• But we gossip, talk about people, we speak negative things about them.
• A horse can’t pull while kicking. This fact we merely mention.
• And he can’t kick while pulling, Which is our chief contention.
• Let’s imitate the good old horse And lead a life that’s fitting;
• Just pull an honest load, and then there’ll be no time for kicking.
(3). Joy. (verse 4):
• Paul’s third request is that these Christians;
• "Rejoice in the Lord always" - "Always be full of joy."
• Question: How much laughter you had this week?
• Too many Christians endure their faith instead of enjoying it!
• When missionaries in the northern part of Alaska, where the Eskimos live,
• Were trying to get the Bible translated, they had some difficulty.
• When you go to translate the Bible in any culture,