Summary: The example of Jesus - (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
The example of Jesus (vs 1-11):
• He Prioritised (vs 5-6)
• He Served (vs 7)
• He Sacrificed (vs 8)
• He Glorified God (vs 9-11)
• My favourite Christmas joke this year was about Good King Wenceslas;
• Apparently Good King Wenceslas rings up a local pizza restaurant to order a pizza.
• "Certainly your Majesty," says the manager,
• "Will it be your usual? Deep pan, crisp and even?"
• 'Twas the week after Christmas, and all through the house,
• Every creature was hurtin', even the mouse.
• The toys were all broken, their batteries dead;
• Dad’s asleep out on the sofa, with ice on his head.
• Wrapping and ribbons still cover the floor,
• The children in unison all shout, “I’m bored!”
• And I in my T-shirt, new Reeboks and jeans,
• Go into the kitchen and start planning to clean.
• When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
• I sprang from the sink to see what was the matter.
• Away to the window I flew like a flash,
• Tore open the curtains, and threw up the sash.
• When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
• But a little white truck, with an oversized mirror.
• The driver was smiling, so lively and grand;
• The clothes he was wearing said "U.K. POSTMAN."
• With a handful of bills, he grinned like a fox
• Then quickly he stuffed them into our letterbox.
• Bill after bill, after bill, they still came.
• Whistling and shouting he called them by name:
• "Here’s one from Tescoe’s, now Asda, and Beals
• Here's one from Harrod's, and Woolworth’s and Teal’s.
• To the tip of your limit, every store, every shop,
• You spent and you spent Oh why didn’t you stop!"
• He smiled and he whistled as he finished his work.
• He filled up the box, and then turned with a jerk.
• He sprang to his truck and he drove down the road,
• Driving much faster with just half a load.
• Then I heard him exclaim with great holiday cheer,
• "Enjoy what you got. . . . . .you'll be paying all year!"
WELL I HOPE THAT WAS NOT YOUR EXPERIENCE OF CHRISTMAS 2012!
• We have as a Church spent our Christmas services thinking about Jesus Christ;
• And rightly so!
• As we noted at our Carol Service – if you take ‘Christ’ out of ‘Christmas’;
• All you are left with is ‘M&S’ (note: ‘M&S’ – ‘Marks & Spencer’ is a UK shopping chain)
• The heart of Christmas is Christ!
• And the desire of every Christian should be to be more like Jesus!
• Adoniram (pronounced: Ad-o-ni-ram) Judson;
• Was an American Baptist missionary in the 18th century;
• He served God in Burma for almost forty years.
• At the age of 25,
• Adoniram Judson became the first Protestant missionary;
• Sent from North America to preach in Burma.