Summary: A message that challenges and encourages us that Christ still reigns over a world in turmoil.
Christ The King Still Reigns
• Psalm 2 was written by David. This particular Psalm is a Messianic Psalm– that is, it prophesied of Jesus the Messiah hundreds of years before He was born into this world.
• Psalm 2 was spoken through the mouth of David by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. This fact is confirmed in Acts 4:25 when the first century apostles quoted this passage when they were enduring persecution from the religious rulers of their day.
• One truth for certain: this psalm not only spoke powerfully in the day it was written– but this psalm speaks very powerfully and prophetically to us as the Church in this day.
• In this message we will see: 1.) The Rebellion of A Sinful World 2.) The Response of A Righteous God 3.) The Rulership of Christ As King 4.) The Acceptable Response To Christ As King
• No matter how dark the times or how wicked our nation becomes – we can rest with assurance that Jesus Christ, the Righteous King still reigns as Lord and Ruler over all the Earth– and His glory, His Righteousness and His justice will be made known.
1. The Rebellion of A Sinful World (verses 1-3)
• In the KJV, it asks in verse 1 “Why do the heathen rage? The NIV says “Why do the nations conspire...?
• The heathen are the unbelieving, -the many peoples and nations that rage against God and His Word. They rage and conspire against the righteousness of God and the things above—the things associated with His Kingdom.
• The heathen rage against the Church today. In the United States of America, as well as other nations around this world, the Church and Biblical Christianity is being mocked, belittled, persecuted and attacked by those that are given to unbelief and hardness against the Living God and His Son Christ Jesus.
• In our nation today, Christianity, which was the once esteemed belief and moral code of our land is now being cast aside and thrown into the streets.
• The peoples “plot in vain”– plotting so called “secret schemes” to undermine God and His Word and His Righteous ways. They plot to not only persecute the righteous that belong to God– but more and more the nations plot to rise up against the Church and try in their power to demoralize and destroy the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
• The “kings of the earth” and the “rulers” gather together in a common front to oppose Christ and His Kingdom.
• Who are these “kings and rulers”? We remember in the time of Christ Himself, the Jewish religious leaders violently opposed Christ. King Herod opposed him. Pontius Pilate, though finding no basis to accuse Him, still gave in to the desire of the Jews and handed Him over to be crucified.
• Kings and rulers in many nations over the last 2000 years have fiercely opposed the Risen Christ and His Blessed Church. Many attempts have been made over the centuries to try and extinguish the Church and the Gospel.
• Today, in America, our politicians, government leaders, court justices, and school administrators rage against Jesus Christ and work tirelessly to remove His name and His influence from the public arena— making way for a humanistic, self-exalting, lust pursuing society without God and without hope.
• To this very day, our “rulers” are taking their “stand against the Lord and against His Anointed One” —Jesus Christ, the Savior and Lord.
• We live in a world filled with sensuality, increasing violence, greed and hatred of all that is right and pure— “calling evil good and good evil”.
• We truly live as “in the days of Noah”– a world full of rebellion and revolting against its Creator.
2. The Response of A Righteous God (verses 4-6)
• Is God threatened, fearful, or worried about the plots and schemes of the rulers and people? NOT AT ALL.
• Verse 4 shows us “The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them”.
• The Holy and Mighty God laughs at the mocker and scoffs at those that devise plans against Him.
• The Lord laughs because He knows their plans will not bring Him down or destroy Him.
• Daniel 7:27 says “...His Kingdom will be an everlasting Kingdom..” and Jesus told His disciples “Upon this rock I will build My Church and the gates of hell shall not overcome it”. NOTHING OR NO ONE CAN STOP HIS ETERNAL PURPOSES!
• The Creator will not be outdone or overruled by the created. He scoffs because He knows that their wicked plans will fall upon their own heads!
• Psalm 37:12,13 says “The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for He knows their day is coming”.