Summary: Christ is the light of the world
I. Christ in the beginning (V.1)
A) First we see Jesus is eternal
- John did not learn this on his own. He did not read it in some book. This was revealed to him by God directly. “In the beginning was the Word”
- We do see that Moses had a similar revelation directly from God in Genesis 1 “In the beginning God”
B) Second we see that Christ was with God in the beginning
- Christ is not only eternal on his own but He has eternally co-existed with the Father. “ He was in the beginning with God”
- Here we see both in a solid relationship as individuals and as being one God.
- Jesus goes on to say later that “the Father and I are one”
- How can this be
- We need to learn to be comfortable with both not understanding everything and knowing that it was not given to us to know
C) Christ is God
- God has always wanted to dwell with man
- We are His special creation
- This desire of God to dwell with man became known with Israel
- Exo_29:45 I will dwell among the people of Israel and will be their God.
- Exo_29:46 And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.
- It was true in the garden with Adam
- And it is true today and Christ is the answer to that predicament
- The predicament we find ourselves in because of our sin problem
II. Christ as the Creator (v.3)
A) Christ made all things
- We see in scripture over and over again that Christ is the hands and feet of God.
- When God decides to move something Christ is the mover.
B) Nothing was made without Christ
- Christ made everything in all of creation, the stars the moon the red rocks, the ocean, the weather etc.
- The Creator also became the Savior
- Christ is also the hands and feet, the boots on the ground when it comes to our salvation.
III. Christ is life (v.4)
- When we consider who Christ is and think of Him as God it may seem a bit too much to grasp or even relate to.
- But Christ as life for you and me means that we can know He wants a personal and an individual relationship with you and with me.
- Christ is the source of everything to include our food which is alive, beef cows, deer, elk, and our vegetables like squash, potatoes etc.
- But He is also the source for our physical life, our spiritual life and our eternal lives.
IV. Christ is the light (v.5)
- Christ came to reveal some things to his special creation man
- He came to reveal our sin and our blindness to it.
- It is just like stumbling around in a dark room and you cannot see
- He came to reveal that He is the resolution to that sin problem.
- He made it possible for us to see that we are wandering around in darkness.
- He came to dispel the darkness that surrounds us that we may walk in the light.
- But men have rejected us and Jesus said the do so because they do not want to come to the light.
- It is not because we did not present the light just the right way.
- It is because men love their sin more than they want the light and they choose to stay in their sin.