Summary: ACCORDING TO GOD’S WORD; EVERY INDIVIDUAL, WHEN HE OR SHE COMES TO THE AGE OF ACCOUNTABILITY, MUST MAKE A DECISION: 1. EITHER TO STAND UPON THE SOLID ROCK OF SALVATION THROUGH CHRIST JESUS OR 2. REMAIN UPON THE SINKING SAND OF SPIRITUAL DESTRUCTION.
5/18/08 CHRIST, THE SOLID ROCK
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 10
INTRODUCTION: ACCORDING TO GOD’S WORD; EVERY INDIVIDUAL, WHEN HE OR SHE COMES TO THE AGE OF ACCOUNTABILITY*** MUST MAKE A DECISION.
1. EITHER TO STAND UPON THE SOLID ROCK OF SALVATION THROUGH CHRIST JESUS OR
2. REMAIN UPON THE SINKING SAND OF SPIRITUAL DESTRUCTION.
MATHEW 7: 24-27:
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
JESUS GIVES TWO EXAMPLES OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF A HOUSE.
ONE BUILT ON SOLID ROCK AND ONE BUILT ON SAND***
THE ONE BUILT SECURELY ON THE ROCK WILL WITHSTAND THE STORM. **
HOUSE AT 206 GLADE ROAD. WITHSTOOD THE STORM.
I. JESUS IS THE ROCK OF THE LIVING WATER.
3 And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?
4 And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me.
5 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go.
6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.
(A) NOTICE THE CONDITION OF THE PEOPLE
UNWORTHY, MURMURING, COMPLAINING.
1. COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN WHERE THEY CAME OUT OF.
2. COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN THE SLAVE DAYS OF EGYPT.
3. EVEN HAD A DESIRE TO GO BACK.
4. LEARNING TO BE TOTALLY DEPENDANT UPON GOD.
5. SYMBOLIC OF LOST PEOPLE, WALKING AFTER THE DESIRES OF THE FLESH.
6. EGYPT LAY BEHIND THEM, THE PROMISE LAND AHEAD.
DOESN’T SEEM LIKE A HARD CHOICE TO MAKE. (COMPARE)
7. PEOPLE WANT EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD NOW!!!
FORGETTING THAT PARADISE IN HEAVEN AFFORDS MORE THAN THIS WORLD COULD EVEN IMAGINE.**
(B) NOTICE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ACT OF GRACE.
NOTICE VERSE 6 (ABOVE)
1. THE WATER WAS FREELY GIVEN. (NOTHING DONE TO MERIT IT. CERTAINLY DID NOT DESERVE IT AFTER COMPLAINING CONSTANTLY. (JOHN 3:16)
2. ABUNDANTLY GIVEN. (JOHN 1: 12: AS MANY AS RECEIVED HIM…..)*** NOT JUST A QUICK REFRESHING MOUTHFUL BUT IT FLOWED WITH ABUNDANCE
vast block of red granite, fifteen feet long, ten broad, and twelve high. (from Adam Clarke’s Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright © 1996, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)
(C) GOD’S GRACE IS NEVER JUST A SHORT TEMPORARY SUPPLY, IT IS GIVEN ABUNDANTLY THAT IT MAY BE SUFFICIENT FOR EVERY NEED. (PAUL’S EXAMPLE)