Summary: A new believer is tender and needs to be nurtured for spiritual growth. When such is not done it may affect the faith of the believer or tell on him if he grows without the rudiments of the Christian faith.
THEME- POPULATING GOD’S KINGDOM
TOPIC- FOLLOW UP
TEXT- ACTS 15:36-41
The term follow up is scriptural and it is very important if we need a healthy, mature and established church. Follow up is likened to the mother-child relationship. A mother that gives birth to a child should stay close to the child and nuture him. Although we have follow-up department in the church, the work to follow up new believers is for every Christian.
A. QUALITIES OF A GOOD FOLLOW UP CHRISTIAN WORKER
1) POSSESS THE RIGHT PASSION- ACTS 15:36, ROM 15:24, PHIL 1:3-8, 1 THESS 3:5-10.
Paul had a great concern for the welfare of the converts of their missionary journey. A soul winner needs to give more priority and attention to follow up converts until the babes in Christ are built up to be disciples.
The follow up worker must be natural and friendly. He must be very courteous. Keep to appointments. The follow up workers must be spiritually sensitive with a cal nature. Every follow up worker must have love for the new converts- 1 Thess 2:8. Long for them-1 Thess 2:17-18. Have the burden for their spiritual welfare- 1 Thess 3:5. A follow up worker must have control over his tongue and flesh – Col 4:6, Prov 10:19, Rom 6:11-14. Pray for them always - 1 Thess 1:1-3.
B. IMPORTANT TRUTHS FOR NEW BELIEVERS
The follow up workers should know and be able to constantly teach the new born believers the following;
1. Assurance of salvation – Heb 13:5
2. Knowledge of Jesus Christ - John 20:31, Rom 10:17
3. Forgiveness and confession of sins- Rom 5:6-9, 1 John 1:9
4. The ministry of the Holy Spirit in his life- John 14:25-26, Eph 5:18
5. Understanding his new identity in Christ- 2Cor 5:17
6. The possibilities of God – Matt 19:26
7. Christian service and fellowship - Rom 12:11, Matt 23:11, Heb 10:25
8. Eternity/Eternal rest – Rev 21:4, Heb 4:11
C. ENGAGING NEW BELIEVERS IN THE CHURCH
1. New believers’ class/Foundation class
2. Baptismal class
3. Discipleship class/Workers’ class
4. School of Ministry