Summary: Christians outlook for New Year--2006
Sign in the window of an English company: We have been established for over one hundred years and have been pleasing our displeasing customers ever since. We have made money and lost money, suffered the effects of coal nationalization, coal rationing, government control, and bad payers. We have been cussed and discussed, messed about, lied to, held up, robbed, and swindled. The only reason we stay in business is to see what happens next.
For a lot of people that is how life seems to be, what will happen next. I guess many people live by Murphy’s law and believe if something bad is going to happen, it will happen to them. But Christians operate under another principle and today I would like to give scriptures that give us encouragement for 2006.
The Christian’s Forecast for 2006
I. I Expect the Best---Philippians 1:20—my earnest expectation and hope is in that nothing will I be disappointed—KJ ashamed
· In a world that is constantly looking for the worst, I am expecting the best.
· God won’t let me down, the world may let me down, people may let me down, but God will lift me up.
· I expect to succeed in life, I expect to win, I expect the best.
Quote: "Unbelief puts our circumstance between us and God, but faith puts God
between us and our circumstances." F.B. Meyer
II. I will reach my goals—Philippians 3:13-14—forgetting those things behind, I press toward the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus.
· Nothing in my past will keep me from my future.
· Forgetting—if God can forgive and forget my sin, so can I.
· Pressing—giving it all I have to obtain the prize.
Ill) Monarch butterflies, born all over the United States and Canada, all fly to Mexico, all arrive at the same place, none have ever made the trip before, but even with a 3000 mile trip, none of them gets lost, and they all arrive about the same time.
III. Faith Will See Me Through—Hebrews 11:1—substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. In the natural I will fail, in the natural I will come up empty, but in faith, I will receive all that God has promised me.
· Nothing is impossible for them that believe.
· Even though my natural eye can’t see it, my spiritual eyes can see it.
The just shall live by faith. God rewards them that diligently seek after Him.
IV. I Know Who Holds Tomorrow---Revelation 1:8—Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. In a world of uncertainty, there still is one thing that is certain.
· I don’t have to know everything about my tomorrows, I just have to know who holds tomorrow in His hands.
· He is already ahead of me.
Ill) in a bad storm at sea all the passengers were scared to death. The captain was above steering the ship against the mighty waves. One passenger climbed up on deck and looked up at the captain and all his fears were relieved. He reported back to the rest of the passengers, all is well. They asked, how do you know, he said, the captain smiled at me.
Close: many will face 2006 will a pessimistic attitude. Many will face this year with fear. But the Christian forecast is that everything is going to be all right.