Summary: Preparing yourself for the return of Christ
You too, be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect.
Just when you don’t expect him, the Son of Man will show up. - Message
The need for readiness or preparedness is taught in every area of life. Children are taught to be ready and prepared, from how to get ready for school each day, to learning how to avoid dangers by learning to "stop, look, and listen." Boy scouts too are taught how to survive in the wild, and to be prepared for good deeds. Soldiers too are taught the importance of readiness, of being properly equipped and trained for battle, of being always "vigilant" and "alert." The question this morning = “Are today’s Christians around the world really ready?
The digital transition for TV reception was issued a year and a half before it was to happen this month. The government had commercials on TV telling very one to get ready. They even offered a coupon to offset the cost. Guess what – February 18th came and many people were not ready!
Our text says – “You too, be ready” This means whoever reads this passage – Be ready! Here are 5 things we can do to be ready:
1. Be Watchful (Matt 24:40-41)
Matthew reminds us - "Two shall be in the field; the one taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. WATCH therefore, for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come." The word ’watch’ means to be alert, be on your guard, and be found ready for Christ’s coming.
* I Cor 16:13 = Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.
* Being watchful is a deliberate action on your part and it will take work!
* A Christian is always in danger, and therefore should ever be on the watch; the danger of sin is always lurking for attacks. The watchman not only looks out for himself but also others who are depending on him.
2. Guide against lukewarmness (Rev. 3:16)
Concerning the Laodicean Church, which represents the professing body of believers in the last Church Age of which we are a part, we read: "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot; I would thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." Did you hear it?
* Lukewarmness is something that you have 100% control over. Lukewarmness happens when you take the special things of God as common. “It’s just the cross, or I’ve heard this before” or “Service better be over at 12:00pm sharp” – The right answers would be “ Oh the power of the cross” – “Lord I must hear from you today” – “Lord, I’m not worried about the time – I just want to send time with you”
* Stop going through the motions spiritually!
3. Pray more (Luke 21:36)
Luke tells us: "Watch ye, therefore, and PRAY always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."
* Do you pray that you will be accounted worthy and be ready when Christ appears or when death happens? If not –You need to do it! We work on everything else in our life but many put their eternal destiny to chance.