Summary: Unfortunately, many people don't believe that the Devil really exists. We characterize Satan as some fictitious person. We learned last week that as the deceiver Satan uses lies to attack the mind to make us ignorant of God’s will. If Satan cannot defeat
Christian Warfare Part 2
Unfortunately, many people don't believe that the Devil really exists. We characterize Satan as some fictitious person. We learned last week that as the deceiver Satan uses lies to attack the mind to make us ignorant of God’s will. If Satan cannot defeat you by deceiving your mind, He will try to destroy your body. As the serpent he deceives, as the lion he destroys. If he can get you to believe his lie then you will destroy yourself, If we resist his deceit he will attack out bodies. Job is a perfect example. He lost the fruit of his body (his children), he lost the means to sustain his body (flocks and herds), and the health of his body (disease).
I. In the Bible, we are warned time and time again to be aware of our enemy.
A. Eph. 6:11-12 (pp)
1. Paul is telling us that we have a fight on our hands. Our enemy is not against flesh and blood but our enemy is the “rulers, authorities, and spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm.” Our enemy is Satan & his demons.
• 1 Pet. 4:8 (pp)
2. A lion is a predator. It constantly roams around looking for helpless animals to attack and kill. In a similar way, the Devil roams around the earth looking for Christians and non-Christians to attack.
II. The Target (our bodies)
A. The Gospels tell us that Satan, through demonic helpers, attacked the bodies of various people.
III. Why does he do this?
A. Our bodies are God’s temple
B. God is invisible, Jesus returned to heaven both cannot be seen
1. Christians can be seen. It is our conduct in the body that glorifies and exalts the lord
2. God uses our bodies as a vehicle for revealing him to the world.
• We are the only bible most non-believers will ever read.
3. When he attacks our bodies, he is attacking the one means God has of revealing his grace and love to a lost world.
• Creation reveals the power, wisdom and glory of God
• We reveal the grace and love of God
C. God’s tool
• Noah built ark
• Tabernacle (Exodus 36:1)
• Disciples distributed hands to distribute bread, lips and tongues to preach
• God uses various members of our bodies, empowered by the Holy Spirit, to get His work done in this world.
2. Satan knows his can hinder God’s work by putting his tool out of commission.
• Greek word instrument can be translated as tool or even weapon
D. God’s treasury
2. We have the treasure of eternal life in us
• We are to invest it into others
E. God’s testing Ground
• Greek games
• Satan can rob you of your by attacking your bodies and getting us to break the rules
IV. Satan’s Weapon Suffering
A. Satan wants to control the circumstances around the body so that the believer will suffer.